​ ​ ​ ​ Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable

Unhappy Need Further Guidance...

Quote Originally Posted by hippy View Post
    With PE6 installed; click Help -> About menu options and locate the "AXE027 Driver Folder" link on the right. Click that and note the directory name.

Go into Device Manager and manually install/update the drivers pointing Device Manager to that directory.

This is usually a two-step process, firstly installing the USB drivers, then the Virtual COM port drivers. So look for a second item with a yellow exclamation mark after the first part of the install.

Or you can point Device Manager at the directory you extracted the .zip file to.
    1-8-2018
    Further guidance requested:

The AXE027 and it's driver worked on my old computer ( also had alot of difficulty installing driver in 2011 ).
    Can not again get it to work after several hours of attempts on new computer.
    This above msg. and solution appears to have potential, if I can get some questions answered.

1. should I delete all driver files installed in my previous attempts before attempting anew?

2. assuming I should start with cabel disconnected ( and the 20M2 picaxe board )
    at what point do I connect cabel?

3. if I have to do this manually, then assume I shall end up with a zip file.
    Have never worked with zip before, so can you advise on how to "extract" such a file?

4. I have pe6 installed, but can not find "help->about menu". All I see is a "?" at the very upper right that is a "help icon"
    but no link to "menu options".

Default Can not locate PE6 "Help"

Quote Originally Posted by hippy View Post
    With PE6 installed; click Help -> About menu options and locate the "AXE027 Driver Folder" link on the right. Click that and note the directory name.

Go into Device Manager and manually install/update the drivers pointing Device Manager to that directory.

This is usually a two-step process, firstly installing the USB drivers, then the Virtual COM port drivers. So look for a second item with a yellow exclamation mark after the first part of the install.

Or you can point Device Manager at the directory you extracted the .zip file to.

1-10-2018
    I have looked all over the latest editor and cannot locate "Help->About menu options" for assistance in manually
    installing the AXE027 driver. Can someone tell me how to find the AXE027 driver folder in the menu options? TIA

Regarding the latest Editor, I can not find : "Help-> About options" to locate the AXE027 Driver Folder.
    Can someone kindly provide information to find "Help" in the Picaxe Editor? TIA

The instructions do not align with my experience either.

However, these steps get me to the AXE027 drivers folder:
    From the "File" Menu, Select "Help"
    Under "Technical Support" you should see the 5th item: "AXE027 Drivers Folder"

The AXE027.pdf file needs updating. It appears to gives detailed support for Windows 7, which is around 10 years old! It does mention Windows 8 but both of these operating systems differ from Windows 10.

Having said that, I recall that the AXE027 driver loaded like a dream when I upgraded to W10 a few years ago.

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by 4jaba6 View Post
    Regarding the latest Editor, I can not find : "Help-> About options" to locate the AXE027 Driver Folder.
    Can someone kindly provide information to find "Help" in the Picaxe Editor? TIA
    When using PE6 with the ribbon enabled there is a blue circle to the right containing a question mark. Click that and it it is the equivalent of selecting the Help -> About menu when not using the ribbon.

Hippy and Inglewoodpete,

Thank you for your advice!

Finally got cabel installed and it is programming.

jaba

I am dumbfounded!!!!
    Back in January, I had difficulty getting the AXE027 to work.
    This forum was helpful ...in particular after reading the post by hippy on 21-09-17.
    After working for awhile the cabel stopped working again....would not download.
    I came back a day later and it Worked !? Couple days later stopped working and later did not work; after a few days it stopped!!!
    I have spent numerous ( waaaaay too many ) man hours attempting all sorts of things suggested in this thread and in the AXE027 USB Cabel Manual.
    Nothing helps and I continually get "Error: Hardware not found on COM3" ! after download attempts.
    I am using Windows 10 and maybe that is part of problem?
    To my mind, there are so many variables and things to do that it are not only confusing but is a set up for mistake making.
    ex. 's:
    1. when should one or other or both ends of cabel be plugged in?
    2. two download options
    3. extract zip file/s or not?
    4. use "pre-installer" or not?
    5. finding the AXE in Device Manager
    6. making sure has correct driver in directory
    7. having to go to properties ect.
    8. and many more possible choices/changes and places to go and do things that may not be done correctly.
    9. the AXE manual documentation not what showing on my computer ( again Win 10 related? )
    Also if ever get all of steps correct, have to do similar all over again and hope get correct for "virtual com"

I have this amazing piece of technology...the Picaxe 20M2 and I cannot use it!

I went so far as to purchase another AXE027 to see if it will work ( when get's here ).... shows how frustrated my frugal self is with getting this to function correctly.

I know, I can test the cabel myself as I did 5 yr.'s ago the first time I used this cabel and had similar difficulties but am tired of trying things!

I am almost at point of switching to Arduino but really do not wish to change.

Am hoping this board can assist in getting the cabel to work.

Probably ideal solution would be a tech rep on telephone ( or a real time msg situation to communicate with each other)
    to walk me thru this step by step.....( is this possible ? )

Hopefully the forum has some quick and easy solutions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries

"Error: Hardware not found on COM3" ! after download attempts.
    That sounds like you need to perform the HARD RESET procedure when attempting to download a new program into your PICAXE.

Basically, you turn the power off to your PICAXE, click Program Download and then turn power on to your PICAXE quickly.
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXVI
    "Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know." ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Texasclodhopper View Post
    "Error: Hardware not found on COM3" ! after download attempts.
    That sounds like you need to perform the HARD RESET procedure when attempting to download a new program into your PICAXE.
    If COM3 is identified as "AXE027 USB PICAXE" or similar then it would seem that getting the "hardware not found" message is a good indication the correct drivers are installed, working, that the cable is usable, and the issue is with the PICAXE not acknowledging the download initiations. "Hardware" being not found indicates the PICAXE chip, not the AXE027 cable.

Once the AXE027 drivers have been installed, there is very little which can go wrong with them, there is nothing really which can be fixed by reinstalling them.

There does however seem to be some natural tendency to blame the drivers when it's something else, much as there seems to be a natural tendency to blame the hardware when it's a software problem. And, as we all will probably have experienced, once we have decided something is or is not the cause of a problem, we tend to believe that it must be so, find it difficult to see it otherwise.

Texas,

Thank you for your advice.

I have tried a "hard reset" as part of the many, many attempts to get this to work.
    Upon your advice, I tried again without success.

If you have anymore suggestions, I shall appreciate it.

jaba