​ ​ ​ ​ Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable

Default Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable

I'm transferring my PICAXE editor and files to my laptop, having successfully used them on my desktop PC for many years. Editor and files are no problem, but I'm stumped on how to get my AXE027 USB cable running on my laptop.

My laptop is running Windows 10, fully up to date. I've been on the internet and installed the AXE027 software from picaxe.com using the automatic option, and my cable makes a "ding" noise when I plug it into the USB port. But when I try to download a program to my PICAXE project I get an error message "Can't open port COM1". I've also tried to use the manual install option, but I get a zip file which, when unzipped, gives me a bunch of files, mainly .dll, which I don't know what to do with.

I've been to Windows Device Manager and found the AXE027 PICAXE USB listed with a yellow ! , and a message saying "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)", but clicking on the "Update Driver" button results in no drivers found. Where do I find it, please?

I know this must be an FAQ, but I'll be darned if I can find it in this forum or in the FAQ section using the Search function.

Technical Support

With PE6 installed; click Help -> About menu options and locate the "AXE027 Driver Folder" link on the right. Click that and note the directory name.

Go into Device Manager and manually install/update the drivers pointing Device Manager to that directory.

This is usually a two-step process, firstly installing the USB drivers, then the Virtual COM port drivers. So look for a second item with a yellow exclamation mark after the first part of the install.

Or you can point Device Manager at the directory you extracted the .zip file to.

Thanks Hippy. I found the directory path, and then pointed Device Manager at it for each of the two yellow exclamation marks I saw. And it's working.

Why does it have to be so tortuous though? Every other device I have connects and configures itself automatically these days.

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    Every other device I have connects and configures itself automatically these days.
    At a place where I used to work, 5000+ Windows PCs on site, failures of 'automatic' installation of USB devices were not uncommon.

One day maybe it will cease to be a problem with Windows.
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/

Blog Entries

Hi srnet
    5000+ Windows PCs on site
    wow thats alot of windows...must of been close to the power plant

Quote Originally Posted by srnet View Post
    At a place where I used to work, 5000+ Windows PCs on site, failures of 'automatic' installation of USB devices were not uncommon.

One day maybe it will cease to be a problem with Windows.
    Yes, but if I understand it correctly, the AXE027 cable is not designed for automatic installation, and always needs human intervention.

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    Yes, but if I understand it correctly, the AXE027 cable is not designed for automatic installation, and always needs human intervention.
    It depends how one looks at it. The only devices which support fully automatic installation are those which Windows knows about or where it can find the drivers itself without requiring manual assistance.

The pre-installer should provide for automatic installation of the cable, once the pre-installer has been run of course. That is no different to any device which Windows itself cannot automatically handle; for those there will always be some degree of human intervention required.

The main issue is that the pre-installer does not always work as expected. It is not always entirely clear why that is when it happens but it can be because the AXE027 has been plugged in before the pre-installer has been run. In such cases Windows initially sees the AXE027, does not know what it is, cannot find drivers for it, then defines it as an "Unknown device" and it may cling to that even when the pre-installer is run later. Once the pre-installer is run Windows may identify it as an AXE027 even if it hasn't updated or installed the drivers. This can also happen with other devices which are plugged in before any pre-installer for those is run.

This would explain why Windows appears to know a device is an AXE027 but does not have drivers installed, appears as an AXE027 with the exclamation mark.

There may be other causes but they are hard to determine. When the pre-installer works it works. When it doesn't, by the time it's on the system as 'not working', the opportunity to determine why it's as such has often gone. In many cases people genuinely cannot remember if they plugged the cable in before running the pre-installer or not.

While we do see a few issues regarding AXE027 installation there are many more cases of AXE027 being installed without issues, and one would presume most are using the pre-installer and that it has worked for them, because it seems unlikely they would be manually installing drivers.

The details for performing a manual installation are in the documentation, instructions for downloading the AXE027 drivers, extracting them, and pointing Device Manager at the extraction directory, are described.

We do understand that is not always enough, do appreciate the frustrations which can arise when installations don't go as planned, so we will help those who need pointing in the right direction the best we can. Usually AXE027 issues are easy to solve, most are simply because the instructions have not been followed or have been over-looked. We don't blame users for that; it's simply how it is.

Having said that Windows and USB devices can be somewhat troublesome in general, of all the serial USB devices I have used over the years, by far the one that has caused the fewest issues is the AXE027.
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/

Thanks for the explanation hippy. All I can say is I've installed my AXE027 three times, I think (once originally with Windows XP, then with a new PC and later a new laptop with Windows 10), and each time it has required manual installation -- and each time I've forgotten how I did it the previous time! And on the same computers I've never had to manually intervene when adding printers, cameras, smartphones, etc.; so my experience is the exact opposite of yours srnet

I followed the bouncing ball and installed the driver.
    Win10 can see the device AXE027 is in USB controllers in device manager, I can read the properties OK but programming editor cannot open a COM port it is displaying "Non Available".
    I had to go to COM port in device manager as well and install the driver there.
    When I did this on my old XP machine it was just a case of running pre installer and it did the rest, WIN10 could not run pre installer for some reason.