​ ​ ​ ​ Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Can't figure out how to install AXE027 USB cable

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by 4jaba6 View Post
    "How to download to a Picaxe microcontroller( 20M2 in my case) on a BREADBOARD using the AXE027 Cable".
    Our recommended way would be to use the AXE029 Breadboard Cable Adapter.

Other alternatives are -

Extend the legs of the jack socket with wires and plug into breadboard.

Extend the legs of the jack socket with longer flying wires whose bare ends can be pushed into the breadboard socket.

Find an in-line stereo extension lead. Cut the cable, expose the wires, bare the wire ends and push those into the breadboard. Be aware that some extension leads use ultra-fine wires which are difficult to use, and the shield may present issues as well. This is notionally the only 'no soldering required' option but the bare wires may need to be tinned to stop them 'fraying' with use. The metal used for the wire in the extension lead may not be copper, may not be easy to solder.

Actually, croc-clip to flying wires is another 'no soldering' option but would not be a recommended permanent solution.

Also for flying wires, but rather than bare ends, take those to a three way header socket which can mate with header pins inserted into the breadboard. Ideally use a keyed socket and pin connector, or a five pin connection which allows connection reversal.

You could also build your own AXE029 adapter on veroboard, with header pins like the AXE029, or flying wires. If fitted with screw terminals it can be used with flying wires or wires to a header socket.

There are more options but they are more esoteric.

Colorado USA

Have an AXE029 AND AXE027 combination for slightly higher price with it spelled out what this is for. Or jack socket to 3pin female with clear instruction sheet without resistors... [what I use mostly with old serial cable...] - it's annoying to spend time figurimg out these basics which is partially why people like a USB to USB setup... Once working it's great!

FWIW herewith a couple of programming cable related emails from very long term NZ PICAXE supporters. The first is now an e-supplier -
    PL2032 and PL2303 cables with the Prolific driver chip sets used to be the bee’s knees but the manufacturer realised that they were being counterfeit and stopped producing them and no more support.

Soo.. People have issues now. I’ve had a lot of fallout from them, so I refuse to stock them any longer.

I got a 4 pin cable manufactured specifically for PICAXE/Breadboard use. Uses an FT232RL chipset which is universal and plug and play with no drivers needed as windows (And Mac?) automatically pick them up. Works a treat. I’m selling them for NZ$20inc GST (~US$13) each. Still cheaper than AXE027. Refer http://www.phoenix-tech.co.nz/nz-en/...le-4pin-detail
    And this from a NZ e-educator (with decades of "hands on" STEM experience) praising such 4 wire cables-
    Alternative leads are absolutely fine if you find something that 'works' for what people need
    BUT Huge fragmentation and minefields when something works one day and not the next etc...

The biggest mistake with picaxe was the overpriced programming lead...
    Prob reason it is not taken up more.
    The diversity of work arounds, penny pinching and confusion has been Very bad for the PICAXE concept.
    I have seen whole schools walk from picaxe / even whole electronics / tech programs turned into train wrecks and dropped / lost forever because of this (Been there putting out the flames.... )
    I would rather pay a bit more for a stable product
    QUALITY is what we want.

The FTDI is the only way to go for completely deep techy data logging and transfer.
    The best an latest things like scratch portal (could be their / rev ed savior)
    Some of these look for and will ONLY work with genuine FTDI this chip set.

The 4 pin ideas keep rolling out....
    - Batteryless projects / programming / labs (just breadboard and lead)
    - Super Cap robots
    - Charge while you program
    My 2014 vintage chopped breadboard LiFePO4 powered 433 MHz beacon is a tad tight for such 4 wire treatment ! Of course it's fair to say that the trend increasingly is to interface wirelessly - BT/WiFi etc - much as in the style of the BBC micro.Bit. Stan.
    Attached Images Attached Images