Verification error: 0x00 transmitted but nothing received.

praetorgpt

Hi,

I'm new to the 08M2 but have scoured the entire Internet to resolve this issue and can't seem to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have an 08M2, using Blockly on Mac OS X and an FTDI cable with a hex inverter for my download. The circuit has been quadruple-checked. I noticed that the PIC AXE FAQs say not to wire the 10k and 22k resistors as a voltage divider - I'm not sure what that means, but I have the 10k to ground, the 22k to serial in, and the input all wired together.

Many sources seem to say the power supply is the main cause of this issue. However, I have tried several new 9V batteries with a 5V regulator, as well as a 5V power supply from my laptop. I also monitored the power during the download and unlike other errors, it stays at 5V even though the download fails.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have tried downloading Mac AxePad but I keep getting strange errors about missing drivers even though I have installed them; that's another bag of worms.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I noticed that the PIC AXE FAQs say not to wire the 10k and 22k resistors as a voltage divider - I'm not sure what that means, but I have the 10k to ground, the 22k to serial in, and the input all wired together.
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

It's not entirely clear how you have wired things ...

Code:
This is how it should be   This is a voltage divider
          ___                       ___
  )---.--|___|--> SerIn         )--|___|--.--->
     .|.  22K                       22K  .|.
     |_|                                 |_|
     _|_                                 _|_

praetorgpt

Thank you very much for the diagram! It was wired correctly but still no luck. I reproduced the problem on a Windows machine using PE6, so I don't think the computer is the problem.

I have two FTDI cables and both create the verification error. PE6 successfully detects the pic axe 08M2 hardware so I'm pretty sure I do have the circuit wired correctly. Not sure why I keep getting a verification error.

praetorgpt

More information!

I have used the Test Download Cable from PE6 on both FTDI. They are working fine. Attached is a pic of the circuit.

I have two LEDs that should be powered, and not one but 3 capacitors across the voltage-ground gap. The resistors are wired correctly. A steady supply of 5V from a 9V regulated battery powers the hex and the PIC.

Attachments

AllyCat

Hi,

I have tried several new 9V batteries with a 5V regulator, as well as a 5V power supply from my laptop.
Neither of those power supply arrangements are really "ideal", so you do have a decoupling capacitor (100 nF and/or 10 uF) directly across the PICaxe Legs 1 to 8 don't you ?

If it's a "new" (not yet programmed) PICaxe then it should announce itself as "I am your PICAXE" via the serial output. Also, does it respond to the > AXEPad > Options > "Firmware" button?

Cheers, Alan.

praetorgpt

Thank you for the reply.

The problem was solved!! You're right - both power supplies were not ideal and the kicker was that I was using both at once to power the hex and the PIC. Can't do that.

Interestingly, 9V on the PIC and 5V computer on the hex fails. You need 9V on the hex and 5V on the computer.

Don't ask me why - I'm happy this finally works.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Interestingly, 9V on the PIC and 5V computer on the hex fails. You need 9V on the hex and 5V on the computer.
I'm not entirely sure what that means but one should not put 9V onto the PICAXE and I wouldn't recommend it on the hex inverter.

It would probably be best to run the PICAXE and hex inverter from a 3 x AA battery pack.

I can see three issues with your photo in post #4 -

1) There does not seem to be a 0V connection to the FTDI adapter from the PICAXE circuit.

2) The positive power connection to the hex inverter does not seem to be correct; wrong pin.

3) The Serial out to FTDI inverter wiring does not seem to be correct; swapped pins.

popchops

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. Every single time. One a new PIC (40X2), never programmed before.
"Error: Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but nothing received at byte 0"

I have double-checked the socket wiring vs. a 40X2 on my AXE091 development board and the 08M2 on the Picaxe Reindeer (both working).
  • Serial out (pin7 or A.4. on the 40X2) is wired directly to the middle of the 5 pins on the socket. On 08M2 that's pin7 or C.0.
  • A 10K resistor is placed across the other two terminals of the socket.
  • Serial In (pin6 on the 40X2) is wired to the right-hand pair of terminals (when viewed from underneath the the board) via a 22k resistor.
  • The remaining left-hand pair of terminals (when viewed from underneath) on the programming socket is wired to 0V.
  • Reset is tied to 5V via 5.6kR resistor.
  • Power to the picaxe is 5.0 V from 4x AA rechargeable batts. I have wired power only to pins 32/31 on the right side opposite the programming pins... now I think about it, I might also hook up power to pins 11/12 but I can't see why this would help.
I have ordered more chips, sockets and another cable, but I'm getting desperate. I already tested the cable and it's fine. As I said it works on the AXE091. This is the first time I have tried to re-implement the PIC off-reservation and it's not going well.

Fingers crossed you bright blokes can see my gaff.

Thanks - Pops.

Attachments

popchops

I did hook up 5V power to both sides of the picaxe - no good, same result:
"Error: Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but nothing received at byte 0"

Any ideas? :mad:

AllyCat

Hi,

In #8, it looks as if you have 0v connected to Leg 10 instead of Leg 12, no supply connected to Leg 11 and the 22k not connected to SerIn but the (disconnected) loop-through Switch contact. Is/was that the problem?

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

popchops

In #8, it looks as if you have 0v connected to Leg 10 instead of Leg 12, no supply connected to Leg 11 and the 22k not connected to SerIn but the (disconnected) loop-through Switch contact.
Hi Alan,

Power in that photo is connected to pins 32 (5V) & 31 (0V). Counting down from pin 40 top-right (as seen from above, in the photo). At that point, there was no power on the left side (pins 11 &12) (not required in minimum circuit?), and the 22k resistor is aligned with pin6, despite the perspective issues in the photo.

What is the loop through switch contact? What have I done wrong? Are the pins numbered from the underside perspective??

I am using both pins in each pair of terminals on the socket... but I buzzed it out and they are connected internally.

Thanks!!

Pops.

Aries

I believe that the stereo Picaxe socket is switched - meaning that when the plug is inserted, it connects to two of the pins; when it is taken out, each of the pins is connected to its adjacent pin. This is typical of sockets for things like internal/external speakers/headphones etc. If you test contact when the plug is not inserted, you will get continuity, but not when the plug is inserted. Make sure everything is connected to the plug itself. If you have a spare stereo plug, take off its cover and do a direct continuity check from it to the board and via the resistors to the chip itself.

Buzby

That verification error I have only seen when the power supply is poor, even if the wiring is correct. Check your supply, two rechargeables is not a good supply to get started with. Try a better 5v.

Also, your statement "... I am using both pins in each pair of terminals on the socket... but I buzzed it out and they are connected internally ..." only applies when the plug is removed. When the plug is inserted the pins are disconnected from each other. I always solder the pins together, that way it doesn't matter if the plug is in or out.

Cheers,

Buzby

popchops

when the plug is inserted, it connects to two of the pins; when it is taken out, each of the pins is connected to its adjacent pin. This is typical of sockets for things like internal/external speakers/headphones etc. If you test contact when the plug is not inserted, you will get continuity, but not when the plug is inserted.
Brilliant - thanks both. I know I didn't solder the pair together because of the ridges in the strip board, so that must be the answer. I'll solder the pairs together, or move the 22k resistor.

Thanks! Pops.

AllyCat

Hi,

Yes, I agree with Buzby that that error message is most commonly associated with power supply issues, but I believe the photo shows a "square" (4 x AA) battery holder, which should be satisfactory (and I think all my M2s have programmed perfectly well on 2.4 volts). But the pairs of Gnd and Vdd pins on the 40X2 should be linked.

As indicated by the others, the "inner" pins of the programming socket are disconnected when the plug is inserted. Much as I like "Veroboard", one of the problems is that a number of tracks must be cut, which we can't see in the photo. Of course I'd expect all 20 tracks between the 40X2 pins to be cut, but also between the 4 RHS pins of the Programming/Serial socket and the PICaxe pins (only the middle SerOut connection remaining) and underneath the 22k. So it would have been better to position the 22k slightly "diagonally" (like the 4k7 "reset" resistor) and also use diagonal wire bridges between the pairs of Ground and Vdd pins directly underneath the 40X2. The longer the track(s) between pins, the higher is the risk of issues with inductance or even resistive "common impedance" (or just being accidentally misconnected).

Another issue with Veroboard is the (higher) inter-track capacitance, which is possibly how the SerIn signal was getting through to the PICaxe pin some of the time?

Cheers, Alan.

inglewoodpete

I'm in the camp that questions power and connection issues. I (practically) never have the problems you seem to be encountering.

Firstly, what programming cable are you using?

Next, you say the 40X2 has never been programmed. Try this: +5v and 0v connected to both sides of the chip and 100nF/0.1uF capacitors close to both pairs of pins. With the programming cable connected, run a terminal program (does the AXEPAD have it's own terminal?) set to 9600 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, No parity. Does the terminal log something like "Hello. I am your PICAXE 40X2"?

If that works, you can move to the next step: Run the routine called "Check PICAXE type connected". Does this report the correct PICAXE type (28X2/40X2)?

5 volts out of 4 x NiMH cells is a little on the low side: is the 5v measured when the PICAXE is connected and running? Try 3 x AA Alkaline cells as a test. If that works, make sure your NiMH cells are charged and try using just 3 of them.

Flenser

inglewoodpete,
NiMH cells have a nominal voltage of 1.2 - 1.25v fully charged so reading 5 volts out of 4 x NiMH looks like they are fully charged.
Alkaline have a nominal voltage of 1.5v so 3 x Alkaline will be around 4.5 volts with fresh batteries while 3 x NiMH wold only be around 3.6 - 3.75 volts.

Last edited:

popchops

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. The problem was that the paired terminals on the stereo socket were no longer connected after I inserted the plug. I just linked them together, to save moving the 22k resistor. Fixed, and lesson learned.

I am finding that the programming process is quite flaky, and recently was resolved by closing and restarting PE6. It's just an annoyance, as eventually it works. I'm using the AXE027 cable, verified by end-to-end test.

Voltage is 5.05V, using 4x partially discharged rechargeable batts. These can exceed 5.5V when fully charged so I tend to charge 2 at a time.

Could be a capacitance issue... I am able to measure different capacitances across the board... this is just a proof of concept before I design a PCB so I'm not too worried.

Thanks

Pops.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

inglewoodpete,
NiMH cells have a nominal voltage of 1.2 - 1.25v fully charged so reading 5 volts out of 4 x NiMH looks like they are fully charged.
Alkaline have a nominal voltage of 1.5v so 3 x Alkaline will be around 4.5 volts with fresh batteries while 3 x NiMH wold only be around 3.6 - 3.75 volts.
From my experience, NiMH are close to 1.4v fully changed. At 1.2 volts, they have about 30% left and their internal resistance starts to climb below that voltage.

inglewoodpete

Thanks for all the responses. The problem was that the paired terminals on the stereo socket were no longer connected after I inserted the plug. I just linked them together, to save moving the 22k resistor. Fixed, and lesson learned.
You're not the first!

I am finding that the programming process is quite flaky, and recently was resolved by closing and restarting PE6. It's just an annoyance, as eventually it works. I'm using the AXE027 cable, verified by end-to-end test.

Could be a capacitance issue... I am able to measure different capacitances across the board... this is just a proof of concept before I design a PCB so I'm not too worried.

Pops.
If the programming process is a "bit flaky", something is still amiss. (Edit: Although that may have something to do with the Apple architecture, which I have no experience with.) I use stripboard/"Veroboard" for a lot of my projects and have not had problems that I could attribute to track capacitance.

popchops

Hmmm, on the next version I'll place the Picaxe much closer to the programming port.

Is there any recommended order for:
a) opening PE6 on PC (Windows)
b) connect USB to to PC
c) connect 3.5mm plug to socket on PCB
d) power up the PCB

Does the order matter?

Pops.

AllyCat

Hi,

No, I don't think there's a formal recommendation: Normally I would only {dis}connect at c) when physically required (e.g to test or use another board) and would do a) first as it takes a long(er) time. Occasionally, I find the USB-serial port (usually to the Terminal window) hangs or "vanishes", so as b) I need to move the adapter from one USB port to another. And d) must be done last if a "Hard Reset" is required (e.g. if the previous program contained a disconnect or serrxd command, and perhaps unfulfilled blocking commands such as pulsin, serin, irin, etc.).

Cheers, Alan

Aries

The only thing I would add is that I have found - at least with the sockets I use - that inserting the 3.5mm plug can cause the Picaxe to reset - annoying if you want to trace what is happening after the Picaxe has started. I have therefore switched to using parallel pins (usually a 4-pin DIN plug/socket) or 0.1" headers.

Also - if the USB is kept connected to the PC and the plug is kept connected to the Picaxe, the Picaxe resets when the PC is powered up or down (regardless of whether PE is open or not).