the dreaded W10 update has happened!

fernando_g

And Paint is gone!

I know, I know.............now we have Paint 3D.

Call me a Luddite, but I liked Paint. Why could they not both coexist?

oracacle

I have paint, does it come up if you hit the windows kay and type "paint" - that pretty much how open all of my apps

pxgator

I have paint, does it come up if you hit the windows kay and type "paint" - that pretty much how open all of my apps
I just tried that and it gives you a choice of Paint or Paint 3D. So, the original Paint is still there.

Cheers to All

westaust55

Not only that, but you can also add an icon to your task bar at the bottom (if that is what you want) for PAINT or, as I have done, add a tile onto the start-up panes for PAINT.

eggdweather

Microsoft has now said that it won't kill the app, only remove it from installs of Windows. Instead, people will have to go into the Windows app store and download it for free.

fernando_g

It was until today where I had spare time to play with my home computer...

And indeed, the original Paint is there. It had only been unpinned from my Taskbar.

Thanks for your tips

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Here's the official Microsoft statement on "Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update" ...

Microsoft Paint - Will be available through the Windows Store. Functionality integrated into Paint 3D.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up

I don't have much experience with Paint because I use an old Windows 98 PSP application but when comparing Paint and Paint 3D on Windows 10 I couldn't see anything which was missing though the app is somewhat different in its presentation.

Jeremy Harris

Why should an update remove any functionality? I know that this has happened with Apple and iOS in the past (my wife lost the use of her camera card reader following an iOS update on her iPad) but I've never experienced a loss of functionality from any Windows update, ever, and thought that, for all the many criticisms of Windows, this was one of its strengths.

Does Windows 10 actually removed installed programmes and features when it updates? If so, then that has to be a major cause for concern.

I should add that much of the time I use Linux Mint, plus an old Windows 7 machine, and have not used Windows 10, mainly because of all the major privacy issues with it.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Does Windows 10 actually removed installed programmes and features when it updates?
From what I have seen written by those who have had the update it does not; it does however make "Paint 3D" the default paint application, though that can be changed back.

My understanding is that anyone who installs a Windows 10 Fall Creators version to a new system rather than updates an existing installation will not get original "Paint" installed, will have to download that from the store if they want it.

techElder

OT? Maybe, but I don't understand this "need" for Paint app. It must have changed since I last used it. Is this used to draw schematics? Or mechanical drawings?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words so having some sort of paint application can be useful.

I have used images it to highlight things on people's photos, to draw graphs, waveforms, circuits, interconnections or to help explain concepts.

A good paint program can adjust content of images posted which helps better understand what they are showing. One can also crop, adjust size of images and file type to make them more suitable for posting or viewing.

For me it's a bit like an oscilloscope; not always essential but often very useful to have.

These are some things typical of what I have found it useful for ...

Attachments

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi,

...I use an old Windows 98 PSP application....
Same here, give or take a version number or two. I normally use a copy of "PaintShopPro 4.13 SE", which came off a "magazine cover CD" (remember the days). I like it because it starts almost instantly, with defaults set exactly as I want. But it doesn't "understand" .GIFs, so I have to "upgrade" to PsP5 to prepare files for Westy's PEBBLE. ;)

But there's a lot to be said for being able to discuss a program (app) that you know others will be able to access. Oh, and I still use NOTEPAD. :)

Cheers, Alan.

lbenson

With "Windows 98 PSP" and "PaintShopPro 4.13 SE" being referred to, I feel I am almost leading edge with PaintShopPro 7.04, 2/14/2001.

Not quite the oldest substantial program I use--that would be EasyCad for Windows, v 5.21, 8/28/98.

I also still use Notepad+, 10/31/96.

I have some older ".COM" programs, and a 1993 QBASIC.EXE, but they won't run on 64-bit Windows.

And I do occasionally use Paint, because it's available, and sometimes convenient.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
PSP 3.11 for me. Extremely old school. The only inconveniences are that it only supports 8-dot-3 filenames and doesn't support .PNG format. Looking at the About info; "(C) 1995" which pre-dates Windows 98 so guess it's come along with me since Windows 95.

Unfortunately it won't run on Windows 10, not even with tricks others have suggested on the web.

grim_reaper

Having been in the software industry for 20 years now (a notable but depressing anniversary!) I can confirm that the most widespread use of Paint is to paste the screenshots taken with the 'Prt Sc' [or similar] key!
Up until a few years ago, the key combinations of Prt Sc > Alt-Tab (to get to an already open copy of Paint) > Ctrl+V > Ctrl+Shift+S > increment file name number + Enter was second nature!

westaust55

I had a full copy of PSP V5 from an Australian PC magazine that worked well until (from recollection) Windows 7.

Now one needs at least PSP V9 to use with Windows10.
That version works but (for me at least) if you try to start by clicking on an image file, then PSP will start however it does not load an image if you try to start by clicking on an image file.
Start PSP and then click on an image file in some folder and that image is loaded and displays correctly.
As Alleycat has indicated PSP has the advantage (amongst others) that it can create an image with a transparent area - a features I use with the PEBBLE component images.

For MS Paint, maybe it is time to make a copy of the file(s) with a view to future use under later versions of Windows10.
I too find MS Paint useful for basic image editing such as adding a comment, pointer or a quick stitching of a couple of simple images together.