Program Editor used with Linux Operating System

GAP

I have an old computer that has XP loaded to it and I am considering switching to Linus Mint as an Operating System and was wondering will Program editor run OK if I use "Wine" which I understand to be for windows programs.
Anybody able to help me?

tmfkam

Possibly. It depends on the version of the Programming Editor you are trying to run. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about running PE5 and PE6 on a Mac, under WINE, much of this could be applicable to Linux.

PE5 works far better under WINE, but can be tricky to persuade to run. PE6 was truly painful to get to work and once running, scrolling was really slow and never stopped.

I use VirtualBox loaded with XP for the times I need to use the simulator, otherwise I use AxePad.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?25421-PICAXE-Editor-6-0-6-2-now-available-for-download

Posts regarding WINE start around post 33.

Last edited:

bpowell

I run 6.0.7.3 under Wine just fine.

I've had the rare crash where it just exits out for no reason...but other than that, it runs great...I just click "save" a lot! :)

I put some instructions here...

tmfkam

I run 6.0.7.3 under Wine just fine.

I've had the rare crash where it just exits out for no reason...but other than that, it runs great...I just click "save" a lot! :)

I put some instructions here...
Do you have issues with scrolling using the mouse wheel? If I try to scroll, it is (as I mentioned above) painfully slow and never stops. It doesn't happen in PE5 but does in PE6. This could just be Mac related, or down to the Magic Mouse which has no buttons or physical scroll wheel.

bpowell

Tmfkam: I'll have to dig up a mouse and try it...I have this on my laptop, and I use the touch-pad which doesn't have a scroll wheel...it seems to work just fine with page-up, page-down...I do notice when scrolling via the up or down arrows, it will go maybe 10 - 20 lines, and pause for a millisecond or so before resuming...like it's buffering the code in or something...but it's not unbearable...it's just enough to make me either grab the slider, or hit "Page down" if I'm in a rush.