Error: "hardware not found"

LieutenantIvan

Edit: SOLVED

I believe this is a common issue by beginners; however, I have attempted everything I have read. I recently received a beginners pack of a 20M2.

Extract message:
"Error: Hardware not found on COM1!"

I am utilising a PICAXE 20M2. I am using a breadboard to test the flashing program.
I have done the USB serial cable tests, that is with the wire, et cetera. I have check the COM ports. I have changed the COM ports. I have changed the latency settings. I have tried a hard reset. I checked my breadboard wiring. The serial terminal is display "Hello, I am your PICAXE-20M2"

The one thing, that I must confess, that I am ashamed of is that at first, I accidentally had the power for the PICAXE around the wrong way, that is reverse voltage. I feel like a fool. I quickly changed it, but I notice the PICAXE was really hot. I am extremely anxious and worried about this, because I have ordered this from the United Kingdom hither New South Wales, Australia.

The only other fault is that the stereo jack is not aptly connected to the breadboard.

If you do not help, I will convert to ARDUINO!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

premelec

Welcome to this forum... what power supply are you using [and were you using wrong way around]? Please check the voltage being supplied to the PICAXE - getting the greeting message indicates your port connection is OK and probably the chip is also... The voltage must be somewhat high when programming compared to running...

LieutenantIvan

Welcome to this forum... what power supply are you using [and were you using wrong way around]? Please check the voltage being supplied to the PICAXE - getting the greeting message indicates your port connection is OK and probably the chip is also... The voltage must be somewhat high when programming compared to running...
The power supply is approximately 4.61 V.

Remember I am doing this on a breadboard, because I do not have my soldering iron accessible yet, and I just intend to test the flashing LED.
I accidentally had the voltages reversed.
My main anxiety is that may have cause irreversible damage. However, because of the the feedback, I suspect not.

I repeated the USB serial cable test and detected the voltage being approximately 4.9 V when the green button is on, and 0 V when it is off.

The only suspect is that it delivers a warning stating that the latency is slow at 16. I tried 10, 50, 100 and 200, but it displays it as red in the COM settings.

Thanks in advance,

LieutenantIvan

Alleluia!

Praise the lord for I am not stupid enough to walk of a bridge.

I realised I had not pushed the plug in completely.

I thank premelec for his implicit and reassuring confidence.

It seems I will not be converting to Arduino, yet, maybe as a ICSP to program PICs.

Ic thancie eow!

Peter M

Glad to hear your pic survived :) aaannd welcome to no longer having a life without picaxe micros.