Is there a limit to how many Case statements you can have in a Select Case statement?

Doogie

Hey all,

I'm reading audio levels with a 20x2 and a precision rectifier. Works Great. I'm using the Select Case command to vary a motors speed (PWM). Also works very well. ATM I have 19 Case statements in the Select Case section of the code.

Is there a limit to how many Case statements you can have within a Select Case... End Select statement? I've been searching for an answer and can't find it anywhere.

Speed is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Yurs doogie

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Often the easiest thing is to try it, which is probably all someone else is going to do in providing an answer :)

The limit is the amount of memory. I managed to paste 224 CASE statements into a 20M2 program, 409 into a 20X2 program, before I ran out memory. CASE statements with more substance than mine had would use more memory so one would expect fewer than that in practice.

fernando_g

It is definitively memory space related.

Working with a plain 14M, with its very limited program space, I ran out of memory while adding CASE statements.
The board was already made out, so I could not jump to a higher capacity device like the 18X.

At the time, using a LOOKUP instead of SELECT CASE command actually saved my bacon.....just barely.

bpowell

It is definitively memory space related.

Working with a plain 14M, with its very limited program space, I ran out of memory while adding CASE statements.
The board was already made out, so I could not jump to a higher capacity device like the 18X.
I think I've seen on here before, somebody took a 20x2 and cut the die removing the lower 6 pins...then was able to fit it into a 14-pin socket...the pinout looks like it would work!

Provided it's not a production device, or something that is mission critical, that would be a pretty cool hack to implement!

inglewoodpete

You not have seen my post called "Not a 14X2 but..." It uses a 20X2 SMD device fitted to a 14-pin dil connector. I designed that board in the pre-14M2 days when the 14M had only 256 bytes for program storage!

I still have some bare circuit boards shown in the thread!