Daikin AirCon IR standard and codes

TerryRy

Hi. I have got a project where I control an air conditioner from a PICAXE through an IR remote. Remotes are cheap on Ebay and I have mimicked the key presses with reed relays controlled by the PICAXE (On/off and powerful mode buttons only at this stage).

It works well but it would be much simpler if I could generate the IR commands directly from the PICAXE with a suitable IR LED.

Does anyone know what standard IR Daikin use and if there is any way this can be generated by the PICAXE?

Thanks

AllyCat

Hi,

is any way this can be generated by the PICAXE?
It can "probably" be done with a PICaxe, but strangely it is sometimes easier (or even only possible) to create PICaxe code to read IR/RF codes rather than to transmit them.

If a Google search can't find any data on the "Daikin" protocol, then what test equipment do you have? The first requirement would be to discover whether it's modulated (~40 kHz) or "raw" IR. Obviously a (PC)'scope or a little "Saleae" Logic Analyser box would help.

I might be able to help with the critical reading/writing code timings when/if the time comes.

Cheers, Alan.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Reading the IR from the product's remote control is the best path forward to discovering the IR protocol used. Searching the internet for details of the IR protocol is the next best thing.

There does seem to be a lot of information on Daikin protocols on the internet. It will help others willing to help if you can identify the model you have and the model of the remote control which would normally be used.

Even if you cannot find an exact specification for the product you have, protocols for similar products may give a clue and show some commonality in the protocol used by the manufacturer.

It can be a lot of effort and you will likely need a scope, logic analyser or to build your own PICAXE-based test equipment, to adjust timing and check what you are putting out is how it is meant to be. Though others may be willing to assist if the protocol is known.

If it's just a one-off project already completed; it may be easier to stick with what you have.

TerryRy

hippy is right, it is simpler to stick with what I have got (particularly considering it works 100% and the less than elegant hardware is hidden in a black box).

It seems from my reading that the IR remote does not just send a fixed string for each button pressed but the required state for the AirCon. ie. heating/cooling mode, temperature, fan speed etc. It would be better and easier to interface to a standard Building Management System or HVAC interface - but that would be a project for another day.

Thanks for the comments and support

cheers Terry

erco

If you match voltages you can probably delete the reed relays and wire Picaxe pins directly to remote button contacts. Active low buttons?

TerryRy

There are a total of 16 buttons and they are arranged in a 4x5 matrix. A reed relay or a cmos switch is an easy solution.

Terry

darb1972

In the past to mimic carbon contacts in a matrix arrangement I have successfully used a CMOS based bi-directional analogue switches. Works a treat. Less space than Reed Relays. Also no need to be concerned about the magnetic influence of other nearby relays.

They have an "On Resistance" which is helpful as a carbon track/pad combination isn't a dead short (often somewhere around 100 Ohms or so). So you might have to add a series resistor to your analogue switch arrangement to ensure you don't pull the matrix connection too low (although it probably isn't too critical provided it's not a "dead short").