Light to sound disco type leds help

Brimstone

Afternoon all, not sure what they are called but made one from a maplin kit years and years ago, and would like to try another one with led's.
I have searched on here and with not really knowing what it was called not really came up with anything.
Basically it is has a red, green and a blue light that pulse independently in time to music or voice via a built in microphone.
Never used a microphone on a picaxe but thinking on the lines of reading the microphone value and having 3 subroutines to flash the leds (low/medium/high) with a variable pot to set the mic levels?
Any help would be great on reading a microphone or what sort to use....... Thanks in advance.....

Reloadron

The common name is Color Organ and a Google of Color Organ will bring up dozens of circuits. A Google of LED Color Organ will further define it with some uC controlled circuits and finally PICAXE LED Color Organ will further narrow it down. They can be built to respond to the frequency of the sound, for example Blue (treble), Green (mid range) and Red (bass sound). The intensity changes based on volume for each range. I have seen many designs just using discreet components rather than uC based but starting with Color Organ should get you started and then refine the Google searches as I suggested. Good luck on the project.

Ron