Picken coop

newplumber

Hello
I was thinking of getting chickens and since I work out of town a lot ...I will need to make sure the
chickens are feeding,drinking,squeaking, egg laying animals. I figured I could use the best chip 20X2 to do all the work
and since I am planning on installing my own central vac ..why not hook it up to suck the eggs into the kitchen too ( of course hopefully not scrambled)
So here is my plan
I don't know of a slide valve to stop the vacuum for each egg holder so I'll probably have to make one solenoid type
The chicken door will lock during night when all chickens are in for protection ... more study needs to be made but I think its possible
The coop should never go below 35 F with a heater/ temp sensor
Water is simple for me
So the goal would be ...in the kitchen hit a button and vroom ..one by one eggs roll in under my/HER cabinet next to a wall in some neat egg rolling cage (non break able proof)
This chicken coop should be state of the art and I will update the pluses/failures as I test this project to be possible lol ( i only have like 4 projects going ..why not another!)
your thinking under the box friend
Mark

Any one can add better ideas anytime

Attachments

techElder

Search the forum, Mark. I do remember some forum posts on chicken coops or aviaries or such as that. Seems to be quite popular.

lbenson

Mark--I like that idea of a pneumatic egg retriever, like the cash-moving pneumatic tubes in big department stores of my early childhood--but only if there is an in-house plumber who can dig up the apparently buried tube and make repairs in case of breakage along the way. ;-} Out of the nest thinking.

The remainder should be do-able with a 14M2.

At the Rural King store in Crystal River, Florida, my wife and I noted a $900 state of the art (as far as appearance goes) non-electronic chicken coop. Those birds would be living high on the hog, so to speak.

newplumber

@ texas....I think any project is possible because of the "search" in these forums ...I think NASA secretly searches the forum once in while :)
but I am going to try first "my way" with out the forum search...lol A hopeless mistake which I know I will be back in searches

@ Lance...Yes out of the nest... but here is my idea (i'll draw a detail later) but since you can pwm a motor...I figure why not pwm the air flow so the egg doesn't reach blowout speeds.
I know it will have to be continuous pipe and I will use the plastic eggs with same weight for tests
"do-able with a 14M2" ... but its hard to go back to a moped when you have a corvette sitting here ( I have lots of 20x2's)

This project will not be "finished" for a while so maybe I should have placed this in the IDEA finished project bin
error #1,435,000 on my part

lbenson

Perhaps place the eggs into padded cylinders, like the cash-moving systems of yore--less disruption in case some eggs have fragile shells.

newplumber

Thats a good idea ... back to the drawing board ... in a bit I will picture some kind of disastrous thought
Since I have suction one way I think using a tow rope to pull it back with a step motor or pwm motor with one way clutch
Of course I could also use wireless speaking to my kids in a higher then usual tone and the eggs would get to the kitchen
but this way seems more fun.

techElder

There are good reasons why millions of eggs are handled by folks in the marketplace within a certain kind of packaging.

newplumber

True texas... I'm glad we have professionals in this world but its so fun to dream like one

Here is my first draft of the egg cart mobile have to think of some smart way to keep the
cart/sled right side up when loading...maybe weight at the bottom of each one would do the trick

Attachments

techElder

If you build a large enough tunnel to the coop and keep a fox in a box in the house, then the fox will go out to the hen house and bring back the eggs. :D

newplumber

lol yes I am sure it would.... a one way trip
but its very very difficult to hook up serOUT/serIN to a fox (especially hooking the 20k ohm resistor to ground)