practice soldering SMD?

jims

Is there a recommended type of board (????) to use for practicing soldering SMD cmponents. I've never used these SMD devices and I want to see if my "old timer" skills are up to it. Thank you JimS

premelec

There are videos on sparkfun.com and youtube.com... I find a lens VERY helpful and also use wooden toothpicks to chase out solder bridges rather than solder-wick... LXXXI years old - one letter different....

inglewoodpete

A lot depends on what level of investment you want to make to get into SMD.

If you are starting out and want to use a soldering iron then it can be done but you need three things 1) a soldering iron with a fine tip 2) fine solder eg 0.5mm (0.02") and 3) some soft of spring-loaded holding device. The holding device is a third hand to lightly clamp the component in position while you solder it. Otherwise, your soldering iron will pick up the component and quickly cook it!

The second option is to use solder paste and an electric frying pan/skillet or sandwich toaster (don't tell your wife!)

When (or if) you think you can justify the expense, a hot air solder station which is the method I prefer. It works well with solder paste and/or flux. The hot-air station was a good investment for me but I do small commercial jobs.

Solder paste has a limited shelf life and I have never used a complete syringe of it. A small syringe of flux is recommended too.

Peter (An 'L' and less X's than you!)

jims

Thanks to each of you for the info... Should get me started so that I can see if it's something that I can handle. JimS

erco

An alternative technique I see in many how-to-SMT videos is simply quickly flooding all pins with excess solder then using a solder sucker or wick to clean the excess off.

Adiman

For techniques I would definitely try hot air reflow. It's arguably the easiest and best method. Solder paste syringe, tweezers and temperature controlled hot air gun. Basically you coat the pads you want to solder with a tiny dab of solder paste from the syringe (easy). sit the component on it aim the hot air gun over it for 10 seconds or so, and done, soldered on beautifully and better looking than with an iron, plus less trouble with bridging leads.

jims

For techniques I would definitely try hot air reflow. It's arguably the easiest and best method. Solder paste syringe, tweezers and temperature controlled hot air gun. Basically you coat the pads you want to solder with a tiny dab of solder paste from the syringe (easy). sit the component on it aim the hot air gun over it for 10 seconds or so, and done, soldered on beautifully and better looking than with an iron, plus less trouble with bridging leads.
Do you have a recommendation for a reasonably priced hot air gun for a starter??? Looks like they can get pretty pricey.

fernando_g

The problem with age and SMT components, is that as our vision becomes weaker, the components become smaller.

And with them, their solder joints.

Many people have suggested a good, lighted magnifying glass. I would also suggest an USB microscope.

Look for instance, this solder bridge, which gave me grief and it was invisible (to me) even with a magnifier.

Untitled.jpg

inglewoodpete

@jims: Save your $140 and try it with your existing iron. Use a good magnifier and plenty of flux, clean well before & after soldering to get smooth, shiny joints. Plenty of YouTube tutorials to help....
I agree. It's hard for all but the most cashed-up hobbyists to justify the expense of a hot-air rework station.

westaust55

My own SMD soldering requirements are in general low volume.

Late in 2016 I did have a "campaign" where I soldered around 50 ten-pin SOIC devices onto adapter boards with header pins for plugging into header sockets on boards with various through hole components.
More recently (2017) it was 30 x 6-pin ICs (about 3 x 1.5 mm in size) along a diode and 2 resistors each circuit onto small PCBs.
Also done the odd soic Package up to 32 pins.
I use a conventional soldering iron and pre-tin the pads, hold the IC or component in place (scalpel or craft knife rather than fingers) then sidled one pin/side and recheck positioning before soldering the other legs.
It needs my reading glasses and a 2.5 time mag visor to get things positioned and for ICs use an iPhone camera to zoom in and check the marking for correct orientation.
I use a 0.2mm tip and 0.5 mm leaded solder.
The method works but not something to be doing everyday.
Had no failures in assembly but have taken to soldering up a few spares just in case in a few more years something fails and eyesight is worse.

erco

Git 'er done, my Carolina brother! (I'm from Charleston originally)

OK to use duct tape to hold the IC down for soldering and clean your iron tip on a Budweiser-soaked sponge. :)

jims

Git 'er done, my Carolina brother! (I'm from Charleston originally)

OK to use duct tape to hold the IC down for soldering and clean your iron tip on a Budweiser-soaked sponge. :)
erco...will Yuengling also clean the iron tip?? JumS

marzan

I went and got a cheap toaster oven for AU$45 from KMart (our version of Walmart). Then looked online for Lo temp SMD paste in syringes with fine tips. Syringed onto the boards, placed components roughly, and let surface tension do the rest in the oven. Happens really quick. soon as I see the solder change colour , I turn the oven off and open the door. Easy peasy.
Marz