​ ​ ​ ​ Batteries - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batteries

Hey, bear! Buy two, tear down one and tell us what they use for a charging circuit!
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXV
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Quote Originally Posted by Bill.b View Post
    This 9v lipo has a USB charging socket built in.

Available from banggood for $au11.00
    That's too cool to resist. I just ordered one of those to try.
    Last edited by erco; 18-06-2017 at 18:25.

Please, Please excuse me not getting back sooner, problem with family member took me away. Yes I saw PP9 mentioned on one search, but it's a PP3 Size I was wanting. The lithium battery I saw was PHILIPS LITHIUM ULTRA 9v BATTERY PP3 CR-V9 U9VL U9VL-J L522 MN1604 SMOKE ALARM on Ebay.

I was unsure if Lithium batteries had their own discharge protection. The battery is not rechargeable. The batteries out there are a minefield to choose. Many quote crazy mHa figures, many cheap Chinese fire starters. I will read all these excellent replies and make my mind up. Many thanks again all for the welcomed help.

Zor,

My understanding is that the Batteries that use a chemistry which is not rechargeable are refrerred to as primary and those that use a chemistry which are rechargeable are referred to as secondary.

This applies to lithium batteries as well and there are primary Lithium batteries on the market.

A quick google came up with this link to a Phillips web page: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html
    Where the answer to the FAQ question "Can primary batteries be recharged ?" is "Primary batteries (Philips LongLife, Power Alkaline, Ultra Alkaline, Premium Alkaline, Lithium Ultra) cannnot be charged. .... In fact, charging primary batteries can cause them to leak, become very hot and cause explosion."

Quote Originally Posted by Flenser View Post
    Zor,

My understanding is that the Batteries that use a chemistry which is not rechargeable are refrerred to as primary and those that use a chemistry which are rechargeable are referred to as secondary.

This applies to lithium batteries as well and there are primary Lithium batteries on the market.

A quick google came up with this link to a Phillips web page: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html
    Where the answer to the FAQ question "Can primary batteries be recharged ?" is "Primary batteries (Philips LongLife, Power Alkaline, Ultra Alkaline, Premium Alkaline, Lithium Ultra) cannnot be charged. .... In fact, charging primary batteries can cause them to leak, become very hot and cause explosion."
    Which is a good example of do not always believe what you read on the Internet.

I have had an Alkaline battery charger for a good many years, if you re-charge before they go completly flat then you might get up to 5 re-charges out of them, not perfect of course, but there are sometimes good reasons for using Alkalines over other rechargeable batteries.
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/

Thanks srnet. As you agree, there are so many false claims out there for batteries, many really risky to use Chinese firelighters. Even CE approved etc labels can be faked. I have seen Duracell AA batteries with 2100mAh. Best regards

What I cannot remember is whether you can charge Alkaline batteries that are a series of cells, such as the PP3.

I recall the charging process involves a pulsing the cell with short duration reverse charges, not sure how that would work for cells in series.
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/