list of internet acronyms

rq3

I'm an "old timer" who is not familiar with some of the internet acronyms used on this FORUM. Went to GOOGLE and found a list of popular acronyms used in texting and on the internet. Thought that this site may help other who are in the same boat with me....JimS

http://www.smart-words.org/abbreviations/text.html

It used to be a "rule" in written communications that the first use of an acronym required its exposition. Oh well.

R.J. Hoyle published "Decline of Language as a Medium of Communication" in the Journal of Irreproducible Results many years ago. He provided a graph showing that Francis Bacon (1598) averaged 72.2 words per sentence, and Winston Churchill (1940) averaged 24.2 words per sentence. The graph reaches zero words per sentence around the year 2450, with the Americans racing to the bottom faster than the British. BWTHDIK?

lbenson

YMMV, but my brain is normally saying much more than my prose.
As a Yankee college friend of my was once told by her southern dorm mate, "Just because Ah tawlk slooow, doesn't mean Ah think slooow".

Re Hoyle, have you tried reading Francis Bacon, FWIW?

srnet

It used to be a "rule" in written communications that the first use of an acronym required its exposition. Oh well.

R.J. Hoyle published "Decline of Language as a Medium of Communication" in the Journal of Irreproducible Results many years ago. He provided a graph showing that Francis Bacon (1598) averaged 72.2 words per sentence, and Winston Churchill (1940) averaged 24.2 words per sentence. The graph reaches zero words per sentence around the year 2450, with the Americans racing to the bottom faster than the British. BWTHDIK?
Can you google 'BWTHDIK' for me please ?