​ ​ ​ ​ Is there any C Compiler (free or paid) for PICAXE ?

Thread: Is there any C Compiler (free or paid) for PICAXE ?

Default Is there any C Compiler (free or paid) for PICAXE ?

Is there any C Compiler (free or paid) for PICAXE ?

Not that I am aware of.
    westaust55

Hey Hamlet, 2B OR NOT 2B = $FF

Why would anyone convert Basic into "C"?
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXV
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Technical Support

No, there is no known C compiler for PICAXE.

The best one could do is automatically translate C to PICAXE Basic and compile that. That would allow only a limited subset of C which many would say could not really be called C and would likely not deliver whatever it was hoped using C would provide for.

Something could probably be done but the limitations and effort involved would probably outweigh any gains it could offer.

If you have some code in C you would like to port to PICAXE Basic, members here will likely be able to help with that if it is not too complicated or too much, will at least be able to offer suggestions for how such porting should best be approached.

Here is what I did FWIW:

For about $50, you can buy a PICKIT 3 programmer...this is the Flash Programmer necessary to put code onto "raw" PIC chips (not PICAXE). From there, you can download (for Free) Microchip's "MPLAB-X" and the "XC-8" compiler (MPLAB-X is the development environment, and XC-8 is the C-compiler for 8-bit micros). Then, I found a program called, "Tiny PIC Bootloader" or something along those lines...it's a small serial bootloader that you can flash onto a raw PIC with the PICKIT3. Once that's done, you have a PIC chip that has a serial bootloader (similar to PICAXE) which you can load with FTDI cables. Then, you can write your code in C using MPLAB...compile it, and use the bootloader program to push that compiled code to the chip.

You lose all the ease and abstraction from hardware that PICAXE provides, but you can program in C, and start to learn a little more about the bare-metal of the chip.

I will say, the PICAXE support community is unmatched out there...when you go on the Microchip forum and ask a question, you'd better gird yourself for some rude (and unhelpful) answers...but again, it forces you to get into the datasheets, and see what makes these chips (and even the PICAXE) tick!