Regulator recomendation

oracacle

I am just designing up a quick timer for my light box, the plan is to run everything off the cheap ebay laptop power supply that currently powers the 235 LEDs
It provides 18v 3.5 amps, the circuit has currently been designed with 78L05 which is rated for 13.5v input IIRC. I am thinking of just swapping it out for a 7805 (35v input?). The circuit is going to display time on a 4x7 segment display (which is going to need some experimenting with resistor sizes).

The LEDs are run of the mill UV ones and will be switched via STP14NF10 and only have switch on and off. The seven segments are multiplexed with the cathode running through some BC548 transistors and each anode connected via a resistor to the PICAXE 20M2 outputs. Sound out will be provided by a small piezo with to buttons for user input.

I did think briefly about using a buck regulator but was a little over complex for a quick project and would bring little for something that is going to run for less than five minutes every time a need to do up a board for something.

Attachments

oracacle

thanks pxgator.
The reason for using this display is simply for the reason that I have in my parts draw. Most of the displays I need either need to show more complex information, need to be larger or need a particular design aesthetic resulting in this one being sat around for several years. It came in a bundle of random bits on bobs of maplin I think.

pxgator

I know what you mean by using parts that you already have. I'm constantly digging
through my 'junk drawers' for PICAXE project parts. Good luck with your project Sir.

Cheers to All