"Breakpoint" question

parto

Hi, I have programmed 10 Picaxe 08M2Xs with PE6, all with the same program. When I went back to solve a problem I noticed that part of the program was highlighted in red, with a flag symbol to the left. In looking this up, I think that called a "breakpoint". I don't know what that is; my main concern is that it may affect the way the program runs. I don't know how it got there, and I don't know whether it was there when I programmed the units. It will take some time to disassemble all of the component boxes, move the jumper over to "program", load the program again, and then patch it all together again. I am hoping the breakpoint won't affect the way the program runs, so that I can ignore this. Can someone help with the answer? Thanks!

inglewoodpete

Breakpoints only affect the PE6's simulator, allowing you to check variables etc during off-chip code development.

The PICAXE system is not a traditional integrated development environment where you have a computer-based debugger controlling (stopping and starting) the chip and reporting on or changing the chip's register contents.

The PICAXE chip is programmed and "let loose" in the world. When you need to debug code in a PICAXE chip, you need to use the Debug or SerTxd commands or flash LEDs etc.

parto

OK, Thanks very much for the reply. I will research the terms you used so I can understand them better. In the meantime it sounds like if this middle part of the program was highlighted in red and had the flag symbol to the left while they were all programmed, it would not affect the way the program runs. If I have this wrong please let me know; otherwise I am going to just ignore that I saw that, while I was programming the last unit. Thanks again.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
In the meantime it sounds like if this middle part of the program was highlighted in red and had the flag symbol to the left while they were all programmed, it would not affect the way the program runs.
That is correct. No need to worry about the chips you have programmed. The red flag stays in PE6 does not transfer to the chip.