Ongoing problems trying to upload attachments to forum posts

wapo54001

For quite some time I have been having ongoing issues with uploading to the forum, mostly every effort times out and fails. only once in a long while have I been successful.

Today, I got this message when I attempted to upload which suggests to me that there is something wrong with my account. Have I lost uploading privileges?

vBulletin Message

wapo54001, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Log Out Home

PhilHornby

I have also encountered the situation where I couldn't upload anything - with no sensible error messages to help troubleshoot the issue. In desperation, I tried the 'Website upload' function - having first moved my images to a web-accessible location. This didn't work either - but did give a clue: "Error writing temporary file"

My guess FWIW, was that in my case, the Server was (momentarily?) out of disk space. Maybe this forum is hosted on a shared server - and it's another service entirely that's at fault? :confused:

wapo54001

I have also encountered the situation where I couldn't upload anything - with no sensible error messages to help troubleshoot the issue. In desperation, I tried the 'Website upload' function - having first moved my images to a web-accessible location. This didn't work either - but did give a clue: "Error writing temporary file"

My guess FWIW, was that in my case, the Server was (momentarily?) out of disk space. Maybe this forum is hosted on a shared server - and it's another service entirely that's at fault? :confused:
There is nothing "temporary" with my situation -- it's ongoing and, as you say, mostly without any clue as to what is wrong -- the procedure simply times out and the message is that the "connection reset."

wapo54001

Could it possibly be browser related? You might consider trying a different one?

Good Luck.
Have tried Firefox (my main choice), Chrome (secondary), IE (almost never), none of them work except IE worked once, yesterday, first time in a long time.

Might be a router setting; will use a computer at another location to see if it'll upload. Might also try my Chromebook. If I'm almost the only one, clearly it's an issue with my setup.

erco

I just uploaded a small JPEG. Took much longer than normal, but it worked. It seemed to hang, a bigger file might timeout.

Figure 3.jpg

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are aware of the issue and looking into it, ironically the main issue is actually people uploading attachments to start with! The more attachments added, the larger the forum database becomes and vbulletin / virtual server are now both beginning to struggle with its sheer size. We will be migrating the server and simultaneously pruning the database soon and that should help things.