linux Mint 18.1 how to get picaxe working

jcat

Hi to night I have been trying to find out about (sudo udevcontrol reload_rules

has any one used this with mint 18.1 the person who wrote the notes says that (none of the three distributions knew what udevcontrol is ?

all so any notes on using (nano ) saving etc etc

Thanks jcat

Last edited:

jcat

Hi I just retried the AXE027
cat@jcat ~ $ sudo modprobe ftdi_sio
[sudo] password for cat:
cat@jcat ~ $ sudo chmod 777 /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id
cat@jcat ~ $ sudo echo "0403 bd90" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_idcat@jcat ~ $ sudo adduser your_name dialout
adduser: The user `your_name' does not exist.
cat@jcat ~ $ sudo adduser jcat dialout
adduser: The user `jcat' does not exist.
cat@jcat ~ $ sudo adduser cat dialout
The user `cat' is already a member of `dialout'.
cat@jcat ~ $

what do you do from this point ?

because I have tried so many I do not remember all of them and what the end result was.

jcat

Jeremy Harris

I can confirm that I tried the AXE027 on a machine with Linux Mint 18.1, and the instructions for installing the driver and adding ttyUSB0 to the dialout group worked fine for me. I only did it as an experiment, when I installed the Visual Studio Code Picaxe tools, and I don't actually use it, as the machine in question has a proper serial port, so I use an AXE026 lead, but I did check that the AXE027 worked properly.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
We have tested the instructions as pointed to by Technical and described in http://www.picaxe.com/AXE027-Programming-Tool and theyhave worked on modern variations of Debian-based distributions; Ubuntu Desktop and MATE, Linux Mint, 32-bit and 64-bit.

If the user is not already a member of the 'dialout' group, after executing the 'sudo adduser' it may be necessary to logout and log back in again to have the change take effect.

jcat

Hi and thank you for all the posts I was away yesterday

Ok so I started by redoing the pixaxe with out the cable plugged in

cat@jcat ~ $ sudo adduser cat dialout
The user `cat' is already a member of `dialout'.

I then pluged the cable in with the end and 2 ring shorted

using (ls /dev) the ttyUSB0 shows up

ok next stage how do I download and install / use / AXEPAD ?
This is all new ground to me

Thanks jcat

jcat

hi Hippy today I have been trying to get linaxepad going but have not been able to make it work

the linaxepad.tar.gz is sitting in downloads (and all thought I have been trying to follow how to get it up and running it is all double dutch to me)

I have just viewed a page that showed what I would expect it to look like as I have used picaxe on windows

i'm totally lost can you lead the way i'm seeing ttyusb0 but have to load the details in each time for that and (cat) is a member of the dial out

jcat

SteveDee

the linaxepad.tar.gz is sitting in downloads...
If I understand correctly, you are trying to run LinAxePad for the first time.

Unzip the linaxepad.tar.gz file (I use file manager, then right click and select "Extract Here", but Mint may be different)

Find the unzipped LinAXEpad executable file, then open a terminal from the current folder (again, on Lubuntu I just hit <F4> while in file manager viewing the folder that contains LinAXEpad)

Type into terminal: ./LinAXEpad

...it should run, but if it does not run note that 1) capitalisation is important in Linux (so type the exact file name) & 2) the file execute permission must be set.

I hope that helps.