Picaxe controlled Dekatron, Nixie and Neon lamps.

fernando_g

The ultimate idiot box, what can I say.
Chirping noise added for good measure.

Its total nonsense and complete uselessness makes it fascinating to watch.

The Picaxe generates random sequences which, via the proper interface circuits, drive the Dekatron, Nixie and neon lamps.

https://youtu.be/vShzLiStVz8

westaust55

Hi Fernando,

Some times "useless" can be seen by others as art.

Bit like the "Useless Box"
https://www.jaycar.com.au/useless-box/p/GT3706

But if someone makes one they may have learnt how to program a micro controller (e.g. PICAXE) and how to control a servo and monitor an input/switch.
Can still be fun for the time with a "look what I did" enthusiasm even though long term it may be designated as "Useless".

Last edited:

fernando_g

Even in this primitive form, people come to watch it.
I am already working on a two stage project, and thinking about a nice box to put it in

rq3

The ultimate idiot box, what can I say.
Chirping noise added for good measure.

Its total nonsense and complete uselessness makes it fascinating to watch.

The Picaxe generates random sequences which, via the proper interface circuits, drive the Dekatron, Nixie and neon lamps.

https://youtu.be/vShzLiStVz8
fernando, if this is a video of something you built, you REALLY, REALLY need to describe to picaxe users how you decoupled the high voltage nixie tube supplies from the 5 volt logic supplies! The subject of supply by-passing, common grounding (or otherwise) and the like comes up all the time. This is a video of almost the worst case scenario (from a voltage, rather than current) perspective.

fernando_g

fernando, if this is a video of something you built, you REALLY, REALLY need to describe to picaxe users how you decoupled the high voltage nixie tube supplies from the 5 volt logic supplies! The subject of supply by-passing, common grounding (or otherwise) and the like comes up all the time. This is a video of almost the worst case scenario (from a voltage, rather than current) perspective.
I was planning to post a description, but some relatives whom I hadn't seen in a while, paid a visit...... anyways, they are gone now.

Yes, some voltages are scary!
The key here is isolation. Start with a 12VDC isolated supply, form which you will derive all the other voltages.

The 5V logic supply is trivial. Use your favorite regulator o step it down.
For the 170/510V Nixie/Dekatron supply, it is best to purchase a voltage step up kit specifically designed to power such loads safely.
Since both the 5V and the HVDC supplies share the same primary power, their ground returns are shared.

Where did I purchase the Nixie/Dekatron supply? There are many available on everyone's favorite marketplace, Ebay.

I decided for this one https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/ , for the simple reason that Mr. Moorres provides one of the best Dekatron and Nixie tutorials anywhere. I always like to support individuals who make an effort to provide their valuable knowledge for free on the web. Go thru that website, and you'll find everything you need to know about Nixies and Dekatrons and other interesting stuff.
He sells kits thru his website, which link to Ebay.

The website also provides a description on how to build a microcontroller interfaces

As mentioned before, the voltages are scary, 170V for the Nixies, 510V for the Dekatron.
Therefore before designing this project, I first purchased one of the standalone Dekatron Spinner kits featured on the website. It will allow you to become acquainted with its operation.
After assembling the kit and playing with it for a while, I became knowledgeable enough to attempt my own Picaxe design.

erco

Even in this primitive form, people come to watch it.
I am already working on a two stage project, and thinking about a nice box to put it in
Neat project! People love to interact with exhibits. Add a pushbutton, dial or slider for user input to v2.0.