self balancing device

stan74

After following Edmunds threads, I got a MPU-6050 3 axis sensor but haven't used it yet. There's plenty of examples of making a self balancing machine on the net, I didn't say robot because I wouldn't call a segway a robot and more people come here than the robot section anyway.
Has anyone here made one? Erco said he planned on making one.

Jeremy Harris

After following Edmunds threads, I got a MPU-6050 3 axis sensor but haven't used it yet. There's plenty of examples of making a self balancing machine on the net, I didn't say robot because I wouldn't call a segway a robot and more people come here than the robot section anyway.
Has anyone here made one? Erco said he planned on making one.
I made a self-balancing scooter, like a Segway, a few years ago. Not really something a Picaxe can manage, as the control loop needs to run pretty fast, even for a heavy thing like a scooter. For something lighter the loop would need to run a fair bit faster. I found that tuning the control loop wasn't easy, as with a full-size machine the only way to test it was to be standing on it. When I tried tuning it with no weight on it, it would end up being very over-damped when I stood on it. Mine used a ATmega 32, running code that was compiled from BASIC, and I can't claim any credit for the core code, as it was Open Source.

stan74

I was thinking of a "robot" Jeremy but used segway. A scaled down segway. Like a real segway doesn't fall over with no one on it.
Lots of info and algorithms around. I don't want to copy someones project. One I saw was analogue. I'll read up on it.

stan74

That is very excellent erco. Something similar but why the column? ie not low near wheels. to accentuate angle? I thought stamp was picaxe thing..heard about both 16 years ago. I can do speed on other chips if that's an issue but thought low tech 2 opposite spinning gyro discs for stability and ucntrlr to keep spinning speed fast but not constantly driven. It's all been done before but's called robot building right of passage.
Edmunds's thread was all hard sums and it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby :)