Chip non-responsive and nowhere to go!

BruceT

I see! Yes, I just saved one as a .bas and all buttons working now! Way back at the beginning someone said something about an "AHA or DOH moment in the offing". So that was it!!! Txt files are not recommended!!!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Glad to hear you have resolved the issue. If you have a number of files to rename it may be worth using Windows File Explorer to rename the .txt extensions to .bas.

It is okay to use .txt files, and to include them within projects. It is just that PE6 knows they are text files, not complete .bas source code files so does not offer the Program option. Same too for .basinc and other files.

Some Basic source programs are posted to the forum as .txt file attachments ( I often do that ), because it means they can be clicked on and instantly viewed in the browser, via Notepad or similar, rather than having to be downloaded and PE6 opened to view those.

If wanting to use a .txt file program published that way, it is best to open a new PE6 editor tab ( File -> New -> New BASIC ) then copy and paste the text from Notepad into PE6 which will give it the .bas extension when saved. Or save the .txt file with a .bas extension when viewed within Notepad.

Saving as a .txt file, then opening as .txt within PE6 will mean the Program option is not available.