stupid action from me.;-)

zebedeus1957

hello,

I restart using PICAXE after a few years of not using it and to get familiar with it again i wrote a small program to light the LED, buzz the buzzer and check the serial communcation.
I did this on a PICAXE08M2 and i "broke it" because the old 08M you had to put a jumper for communicating OR loading a program.

So i programmed a line SERTXD "some text", load the program and then i couldn't access the chip again for reprogramming.

Is it reparairable? Or is its destiny to garbagebin ??

Please explain ;-)

greets Hans

Last edited by a moderator:

lbenson

"Hard restart": power picaxe off, start the program download, power picaxe on.

It's very unlikely that you can program a picaxe so as to kill it (without there being other hardware involved).

You can program it so that it won't recognize a program download without the "hard restart".

zebedeus1957

I could not wait ;-) Indeed; if clear the chip (or reload the program) it accesable afterwards.
Thanks again.

So this post can closed!

greets and a nice weekend
Hans ;)

AllyCat

Hi Hans,

i wrote a small program to light the LED, buzz the buzzerand check the serial communcation.
Did you use a SERRXD command? That automatically generates a DISCONNECT which prevents future programming without using the Hard Reset procedure described above.

To avoid this you can put a timeout in the SERRXD command or receive a particular character/code and jump to a RECONNECT command.

Cheers, Alan.

westaust55

It may be that the program is in a very tight loop that does not provide sufficient opportunity for the PICACe to detect the SerialIn pin going high to indicate a new program is to be downloaded.
Using the DISCONNECT command will also prevent detecting a new program download.

As already mentioned, use of the Hard Reset method will overcome these situations.
With power to the PiCACE chip off, start the download of the new program and once the PC screen indicates the download is commencing then turn the power on for the PICAXE.

The PICAXE chips are quite robust. However if you overload a pin by having a current greater than 25 mA then damage can occur. If that were to happen on the Serial out pin then the PICAXE cannot respond to the Programming editor as a program download takes place and a fault will be indicated. But try the Hard Reset procedure several times first.

You could even post your code here and folks may highlight what is blocking a new download.