MM7150 - Motion module from Microchip with integrated sensor fusion co-processor

edmunds

Dear all,

Just sharing what is just in - new sensor fusion hub from Microchip based on Bosch MEMS sensors and likely a Microchip micro. Available with largest retailers at around 25USD. I would expect I2C to be fully compatible with PICAXE as does not seem to be the case with BNO055. The module measures 17x17mm and is not too difficult to connect for a hobbyist.

Cheers,

Edmunds

MartinM57

Only briefly following your posts about all this (but keep posting - it's interesting :))
...does this one "self-calibrate" at power on?
...it seems that other similar sensors still have to moved around in a certain way at each power up to calibrate them which makes them a PITA to use?

£23.57 +VAT ea at Farnell UK I notice.

edmunds

No idea, I don't have one and would obtain one out of curiosity only because this is way too big for what I can use. I would imagine, however, it has to be calibrated, but calibration requirements depend on how you intend to use the sensor. Since I'm interested in a single axis output, I have discovered, I do not need to toss the sensor around to give good data. For a robot, it would be enough to stay put for a while (1s or so) and drive some circles and not for every power-on, but only when the calibration is off. BNO055 includes algorithms for realising when calibration is off and it needs to re-calibrate. I don't know if this would do the same.

Alternatively, for quadcopter or something like that, you would probably have to swing around quite a lot to get it properly calibrated and possible consequences of not being calibrated could be dire. I have not done any work with flying objects.

Edmunds

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
...it seems that other similar sensors still have to moved around in a certain way at each power up to calibrate them which makes them a PITA to use?
I don't know much about these devices but I thought they required only a one-off calibration and that was it, providing the calibration data is stored.

Mobile phones and devices in which they are used do not appear to require recalibrating and it would make them near unusable if they did.

BESQUEUT

...does this one "self-calibrate" at power on?
...it seems that other similar sensors still have to moved around in a certain way at each power up to calibrate them which makes them a PITA to use?.
ALL magnetometers need to calibrate for the place it is operated.
Others sensors need at least one calibration.
All fusion processors have a calibration procedure.
It is not possible to "self-calibrate" as it is necessary to move sensors in space.
As said by Edmunds, the robot may help by executing a self calibration procedure.

This one seems to slow for drones. The AN only mention :
• Remote Controls, Gaming
• Fitness Monitoring
• Internet of Things Applications

Last edited:

stan74

Hi edmunds, I followed your threads and bought a MPU-6050 last year. After reading your problems I left it in the packet :)
I didn't bother with it because it doesn't have a compass. Have you heard of these 3 axis thingies?
Yes hippy, most 3 axis sensors and compasses on phones just work when you tap the app. Bit like a washing machine or no-one would bother.

edmunds

Hi edmunds, I followed your threads and bought a MPU-6050 last year. After reading your problems I left it in the packet :)
I didn't bother with it because it doesn't have a compass. Have you heard of these 3 axis thingies?
Yes hippy, most 3 axis sensors and compasses on phones just work when you tap the app. Bit like a washing machine or no-one would bother.
Stan,

I have heard, but I have also heard you need to figure out a boot-loader part to load 4K firmware to get it running at all. I don't remember if it was this one of MPU-9050, but that put me off. Along with very high power consumption compared to other SoC or non-integrated solution I was considering back then. I have a bluetooth module like this where I have probably spent about two weeks in total to try and set up ARM toolchain to load the firmware. Still no success. One beast like that seemed enough to deal with for a project.

Cheers,

Edmunds