Picaxe what next?

geoff07

SteveDee: you are right. But I wanted a solution that stayed solved, so in the end I simply used the RevEd utility (once I found it) to change the ftdi product id to 6001, as I have more than one axe027 cable.

For anyone new to this and wanting to run PE5/wine, and now confused, I summarise:

in order to get a /dev/ttyUSB0 for use in a softlink in Dosdevices, you have four options:

- modprobe as mentioned above will work, but has to be redone after each reboot
- setting up a udev rule will probably work, but only go by recent advice e.g. the current axe027.pdf doc. Some versions on the web are wrong and do not work, leading to much frustration, due to changes in linux.
- editing the kernel will probably work but recompiling an OS is not for me, life too short etc.
- changing the id in the cable is the simplest fix, with no software to modify, but if you also use Windows you may prefer not to unless you have multiple cables.

It is also probably a good idea to update the compilers, as there are compilers available that are more recent than the ones bundled with the last issue of PE5 (5.5.5/5.5.6). The compilers are the same whatever the IDE used.