​ ​ ​ ​ Using 4 max7219 for four 8X8 matrix from a 20m2

Thread: Using 4 max7219 for four 8X8 matrix from a 20m2

Blog Entries

Default Using 4 max7219 for four 8X8 matrix from a 20m2

Hello everyone
    I bought one of these 16 8X8 matrix s that use's 16 max7219 driver chips
    Since I am a rookie I only made code to display 4 of the matrix s
    after reading westaust55 forums and many others I was able to make a simple code
    So if a person has four matrix s and wants to test them out this code should work
    and if you want to add/delete more matrix's then it shouldn't be hard to add/minus the code
    Maybe after I play around with it more I can try to make it more compact

I know its simple code and takes about 704 bytes of memory

your friends friend from north dakota
    using four 8X8 matrix max7219 displays simple code.bas

Blog Entries

I was coding some more
    I managed to get all the 16 8X8 matrix displays working
    whats funny since my code isn't "professional" and if you ignore the setfreq M32 it takes like 3 minutes to update the displays
    but with setfreq m32 added it can update the display to about 22 seconds but i love it because it works for me
    I still am super proud of the picaxe 20m2 even if I have to bootleg SHIFTOUT it still is my friend

If you want a true 16 8X8 matrix this is in NO shape or form or way to go (because of speed and my input in the code)
    I just put this project here to in case someone wanted a simple code to make it light up

your friend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,
    Have you the schématic please?
    best regards

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by duschmaulle View Post
    Have you the schématic please?
    I cannot help with the specifics of that but the MAX7219 has three input signals DIN, CLK and LOAD, plus a DOUT output.

I would guess the MAX7219 are daisy-chained while CLK and LOAD are paralleled up. The PICAXE clocks out command data for all MAX7219's and then pulses LOAD.

Any output pins could be used for that but it would be appropriate to connect the DIN and CLK to the HSPIOUT and HSPICLK pins for fastest data transfer.

If you can point to a datasheet for a particular board you are thinking of using, members will be able to help determine what a suitable schematic would be.

Quote Originally Posted by newplumber View Post
    if you ignore the setfreq M32 it takes like 3 minutes to update the displays
    but with setfreq m32 added it can update the display to about 22 seconds but i love it because it works for me
    If you wish to update the display faster you could try a drop in PICAXE 20X2.

Then the clock frequency can be increased to 64 MHz - double the speed.
    Next The X1/X2 inbuilt SHIFTOUT command is faster - by around a factor of 4 from recollect of some tests I did years ago
    for bit-bang versus inbuilt SHIFTOUT versus i2c.
    i2c was the fastest for a project at that time where I decided to go with i2c I/O Expander chips.
    westaust55

Hey Hamlet, 2B OR NOT 2B = $FF

Blog Entries

Thanks Westaust55
    Always cool to learn about more speed from the picaxe
    although I haven't tried your suggestions and will someday but I also thought about using a
    40X2 with a faster clock and see if I can make some sort of scrolling display
    since I cut all the 8X8 displays to line up in a row (it came with all of them on one board)

@duschmualle sorry I don't have one yet ...and the late reply but if you follow
    hippys post ...and use a good power supply like 5volt 1.5 amp or greater ..it should work great
    I used a low power supply like .500 amp and the first four 8X8's worked but the rest of the 12 went delusional!
    I did finally get it work okay with the small power supply with brightness on very low and alot of caps. (because it was the only one i had at the time)

Blog Entries

Here is a STOP sign symbol/code I made with the displays a while ago
    which used the 20m2 but now since I cut all the displays apart
    I am going to try making some scrolling message
    which will be later on ...or later later later on
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files