Semi-universal Picaxe programmer with ZIF and auto power on

wapo54001

I repeatedly tried to post new schematics and circuit board layouts and each attempt would start but ultimately was timed-out by the website and failed so, after trying for a long time, I gave up waiting for the situation to be fixed.

Meantime, I have improved the layout a bit and can confirm that the circuit works just fine up to 28X2 (I don't use 40X2s at all) and I love the auto power off and power on because the circuit is always unpowered except during the period that programming actually is in progress.

The circuit as designed will program a 40X2 as long as the chip can program with power applied to only one pin of two V+ pins. Everything I've read says yes, it will work, but I have not tried it.

Tried again with circuit and pcb, but uploads fail. I got one photo jpg to upload, but smaller jpgs will not complete.

Attachments

Last edited:

premelec

Only way to know is try upload posts... ;-0 Thanks... ["I can upload more recent schematics and pcb layout."]

cpedw

I see no French - where can you see it?
It has now reverted to English. Last night many of the "surrounds" of the page (e.g. Reply to Thread, Reply, Reply with quote, First and Last of the pages and other bits) were in French. Not a serious problem but bemusing.

Derek

wapo54001

Someone early on commented on the need for more smoothing on the +5, and I just now understood the problem -- the circuit would benefit from some capacitance on the downstream side of the 08m2 on the pins delivering power to the chip being programmed. Keep it relatively small so that when power is turned off by the 08m2 the pins on the chip being programmed do not stay high for any length of time.

cpedw

Incidentally, the page seems to be partly in French.

Derek
I believe I have found the source of the French bits. It's the consequence of a Google search finding a French version but, without scrolling to the bottom of the page, I don't notice that.

It's only taken me a bit over a year to work it out!

Derek

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
A couple of days ago I followed a Google link to the forum which seemed to be something which Google had found in 'mobile display format' and that persisted until I happened to notice that "Mobile Syle" or similar was shown at the bottom of the pages.

I guess it's though being logged in, and viewing in a particular language or display format gets a cookie written, which then gets read and used next time one comes back to the forum.

Moral is, if something odd does happen, scroll down to the bottom of the page and check the two combo boxes; "PICAXE theme" and "English (US)" or whatever it erroneously says. Setting those right should then fix everything.