1:87 scale lorry line follower, TLS1401CCS, STSPIN220, 40X2

westaust55

Maybe in some time. Now there will be code to drive the line without the line present if I manage to do it :)

Edmunds
Scale truck following the line is quite impressive. Well done!

Try invisible ink for the line :eek:

Maybe your scanner can still pick up such a line.
Some such inks for security purposes are visible under U/V light.

edmunds

Scale truck following the line is quite impressive. Well done!

Try invisible ink for the line :eek:

Maybe your scanner can still pick up such a line.
Some such inks for security purposes are visible under U/V light.
I have tried the invisible ink (IR reflective thing), but I cannot distinguish it from grey surface. Maybe, I could turn the thing around to see dark portion as a line and then I could see it on white surface. As this would only have a value of cute experiment at the moment, because white streets would look very odd on model train layout, this will have to wait till I have less crazy complicated stuff on my mind with inertial navigation and eCompasses :).

Edmunds

erco

+1 for Invisible Ink.

Also I needed to bump something cool since I'm sick of seeing that Wiltronics project post up top. :)

stan74

I couldn't unrar the file to see. The Wiltronics project is popular. Do they sell picaxe? ;)

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I couldn't unrar the file to see.
Some information as to what result you got, what process you followed and where that failed, might help others advise how you might resolve that problem. It works for me.

stan74

7 zip didn't work so I downloaded unrar and that didn't work either. I think winrar's on another pc.
opens in note pad. file says .rar

erco

It's only a 7K file, no need to compress as a rar file, more trouble than it's worth to view.

stan74

2 sensors or 6? :) I'm making small ones for presents. Getting the sensors to follow a marker felt pen line is tricky.

edmunds

Any chance of seeing the code for this in the standard forum way?
If you mean the .rar file, then the answer is no. There are 5 or 6 files if I remember correctly and at least one of them is too large to paste. Just download, rename the file to whatever.rar by removing the .txt extension. Sorry for the trouble, but forum would not take .rar files.

/Edmunds

jameswilletts

Good day Edmonds I to am working on some 1:87 scale controls may be we could get our heads together. Great with the line follower I to thought of using UV ink and adding dots and dashes into a separate line to tel the vehicle to put indicators on slow down speed up etc.i managed to get the photo transistor to read the UV line by adding a uv diode to highlight it. I am currently working on a magnetic proximity sensor to bring the vehicle to a gradual stop rather than an abrupt one when passing over a stop coil. I also want to make a reversing feature so 1:87 scale trucks could reverse into deposits and fire trucks back into the fire station. Lots of work to do to get it to work and my programming skills are out of date (6502 BBC micro language) learning picaxe is taking time. Any way let me know many we could get some ideas and code together
James

edmunds

Good day Edmonds I to am working on some 1:87 scale controls may be we could get our heads together. Great with the line follower I to thought of using UV ink and adding dots and dashes into a separate line to tel the vehicle to put indicators on slow down speed up etc.i managed to get the photo transistor to read the UV line by adding a uv diode to highlight it. I am currently working on a magnetic proximity sensor to bring the vehicle to a gradual stop rather than an abrupt one when passing over a stop coil. I also want to make a reversing feature so 1:87 scale trucks could reverse into deposits and fire trucks back into the fire station. Lots of work to do to get it to work and my programming skills are out of date (6502 BBC micro language) learning picaxe is taking time. Any way let me know many we could get some ideas and code together
James
Dear James,

Thank you for your interest. I have since dropped the line-following project as not perspective. I have used many of the techniques and learnings, however, to design the 'magnet follower'. There are a couple of threads devoted to this on the forum, so just drop 'magnet follower' in the search box. '1:87' will find you a lot of interesting stuff, but the way, too. You are quite right, there is lots to do to get no-cheating autonomous car action in scale 1:87. With no-cheating, I mean no mechanical control aids and limited, if any, centralised control and decision-making. I started with simpler, but operational vehicles about 15 years ago and while I have built a lot of fun stuff over the years, there is still a lot to do to reach what I have in mind.

To have your cars travel backwards, the first thing you need is a reliable steering control. I'm yet to find a good solution for that, but there are a couple of directions I'm working with as we speak. Not to take this thread off topic, however, may I suggest you DM me with more info on what you have done so far.

Good luck,

Edmunds

jameswilletts

Thank you Edmunds. Help how do I DM you? Lol
I too have been working on the 1:87 & 1:76 oxfords scale cars and trucks for a long time, happy to share all the bits I have found so we can compare notes would be goid to get somthing 100% working without using remote controle.