OT: Strange misinterpretation of spurious serial data by PE

Buzby

While messing about with the TLS214 opto thingy, I tried hserout to get some diagnostics.

While getting the settings right, I forgot to plug the AXE027 back into the programming socket, but left it in the hserout socket when I attempted a download.

PE didn't download, obviously, but it did say my 28X2 had devolved into an 08M, and even told me what revision it was.

IncorrectHardware.PNG

The mis-configured rubbish coming from hserout must have been interpreted as a valid PICAXE ident.

Very peculiar.

Buzby.

inglewoodpete

While messing about with the TLS214 opto thingy, I tried hserout to get some diagnostics.

While getting the settings right, I forgot to plug the AXE027 back into the programming socket, but left it in the hserout socket when I attempted a download.

PE didn't download, obviously, but it did say my 28X2 had devolved into an 08M, and even told me what revision it was.

View attachment 20755

The mis-configured rubbish coming from hserout must have been interpreted as a valid PICAXE ident.

Very peculiar.

Buzby.

If one end of the programming cable really was not plugged in, then the chances of repeating that bit of noise is pretty slim.

I'd go out and buy a charity ticket immediately :).

Buzby

The cable was plugged into hserout. I have two sockets on my test bed, the programming one and another permanently connected to hserin/out.

Usually I have a two extra serial ports on my laptop, but since the upgrade to Win 10 the driver for the serial PCMCIA card doesn't work, so I'm going to have to use up another USB port just for a USB-Serial dongle. :(