Successful GSM implementations

edmunds

Dear all,

A few months ago, I tried a project with a cheapest GSM module I could find on the large website you can buy pretty much everything on. It did not work very well. Either because there was hardly any data sheet available or because (partly for the previous reason) I did not know I needed a voltage translation logic from 5V to 3.3V and something was destroyed or because of both reasons above it failed. I put it on the shelf back then, but now I would like to try again.

Before spending money on another random module, I was wondering if there are successful projects out there, where interface to GSM module for receiving GSM commands and sending status of the unit has been tried with picaxe.

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds

neiltechspec

I have used a M590 GSM Texter. Purchased off eBay.
Came already configured for 9600baud (default is 115k I think).
Does Texts only, no voice.

Nice & easy to use, I am using it for sending SMS texts from my CCTV DVR & House Alarm.

Neil.

inglewoodpete

Be aware that most GSM (2G) networks around the world have been shut down or will do in the next year or so. Think carefully before spending too much money or effort on a technology that is almost obsolete - these add-on GSM modules are cheap for a reason.

edmunds

Be aware that most GSM (2G) networks around the world have been shut down or will do in the next year or so. Think carefully before spending too much money or effort on a technology that is almost obsolete - these add-on GSM modules are cheap for a reason.
For this application it would not matter, but for general interest - what would be the safe way to go? How would one send an iMessage or WhatsUp message from picaxe? :)

Edmunds