Has anybody tried using a PAM8403 PWM amplifier as an H-bridge?

AllyCat

Hi,

A few years ago I bought a pack of 10 micro-sized stepper motors (about 1/4 cc) at a "too good to miss" price. However, their coil resistance is only just over 20 ohms, so with the (expected) 3+ volts of drive they probably need over 100 mA of current. Also, being bipolar (with only 2 coils and 4 pins), they require a full H-bridge drive (i.e. 8 switches of some type), so I put them in a drawer for "later".

MicroStepper.jpg

But now, I have a possible application for two of them so I'm looking for a compatible (small, low cost) driver ic. I don't want to be bothered with surface mount devices and/or a special PCB (I nearly always use stripboard) but came across this device from many sellers on ebay. Only about 20mm square (3mm thick) and less than 20p each from China, or £1 with free postage from a local UK source. :)

It's intended as an audio amplifier (I found only two references on this forum) but to deleiver 3W from a 5 volt rail it uses a bridge output configuration (i.e. no loudspeaker terminal is connected to ground). 3W into 4 ohms is around one Amp (peak) so it should easily drive my stepper and being stereo is sufficient for both coils of one motor. The output FETs (which are claimed to have a Rdson of less than 0.2 ohm) must be fast because the output is Class D (250 kHz PWM) and the chip has protection for excessive current and temperature.

So has anybody actually tried using one of these to drive a stepper motor, or as a general H-bridge? I wonder if it would be better to overdrive the input (to effectively kill the PWM) or use it to amplify square waves in the "intended" mode. In principle, only one PICaxe output pin is required for each coil (Low, High or Tri-state="off") but perhaps another pin for Shutdown/Mute (which would need to be patched directly onto the chip pins). Of course the inputs are ac coupled, but the capacitors could be shorted out (the output stages are dc coupled). However, some applications for steppers arrange the current to decay after an initial "pulse", so maybe the ac coupling actually would be beneficial?

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did "find" that device/module, which looks to be very "useful" and easy to drive. But, apart from the price and availability, I didn't include my full "requirements specification". It appears that particular chip has a minumum supply of 8 volts, whilst I hope to use a single 3.2 or 3.7 volts (Lithium) battery. The overall project is planned to be very "small". ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Pongo

Got me! Unfortunately that violates my first rule of driving stepping motors, "always start out with a lot of volts" lol

Unfortunately the attachment link in your first post is broken so I couldn't see the motors :( I have used a similar, but beefier, PWM audio amp to drive a transformer for a crystal controlled 60Hz supply and it worked fine so at first sight I don't see why your scheme wouldn't work.

AllyCat

Hi,

If you could see the stepper you'd know why 3 volts is "appropriate" for my application. I believe it's the focus motor (or similar) for a Canon camera. It's 6 mm (or less than 1/4 inch) in diameter).

Yes, the link is broken for me as well on my other browser. Initially the link appeared as text: "Attachment 20651", and when I posted it became an embedded thumbnail. But now it's back to "Attachment 20651" again. I'll try editing the original post. EDIT: Now fixed I believe.

Thanks, Alan.

Last edited:

newplumber

Hi Alan
Nice micro stepper motor ...it looks cool so can you get 200+ steps out of the micro stepper motors?
and also what driver are you using to run it? or would use to run it

Pongo <-- your site link says "currently unavailable" ..they (amazon seller) must know my IP address and say "ohh NO!" we only sell to people who know what they are buying!
but looks awesome ...another item for my horrible project idea bin

AllyCat

Hi,

There are plenty of similar motors on ebay, some obviously more "useful" than others, but one best avoided is discussed here. They nearly all seem to have 20 "normal" steps per revolution, but a custom driver chip might give many more "microsteps".

The pins can be a little difficult to connect up because they are not normally on a 0.1 inch pitch (so no good with my favourite "Veroboard") and soldering on wires can be problematic. A useful tip from one of the sellers is to wrap a little moist cotton wool around the base of the pins to prevent the invisible (at least to me) coil wires becoming disconnected. Also, I doubt if you'd find an off-the-shelf gear to mesh with their tiny pinion gears (if included), but the outside diameter of mine is sufficiently close to 2mm that it acts as a reasonable "axle" to more-realistically dimensioned gears (like the 10 + 30 teeth plastic compound pinions available from Rev Ed).

It looks as if the PAM8403 is actually quite a good driver for low voltage H-bridge applications, because the Rdson of 0.2 ohm gives only 100 mV drop at 0,5 amp. A problem with many stepper drivers appears to be their darlington, bipolar output stages which "lose" 2 volts or more. Not a problem if you apply "Pongo's first rule of steppers" in #4, but it is if you're trying to use a single 3.7 volt LiPo, a 3.2 volt LiFePO4 or just a few NiMH cells.

I drive the inputs via about 100 kohm resistors from the PICaxe pins (since audio signals are normally much smaller than the TTL levels from a PICaxe). The inputs are ac (capacitor) coupled and I have a few "clever" ideas on how to work around that, but the "easy" solution (for that read "best") is to simply short-circuit the input coupling capacitors on the PCB (but make sure that they're not the supply decouplers! ;)

The chips have a quiescent ("off") drain of around 15 mA so you need some sort of on/off switch if fed from a battery supply. The chips themselves do have "/disable" and "/mute" input pins, but sadly these are hard-wired directly to the Vdd (power supply plane) on most of the ebay boards, which makes modification a little tricky.

The required drive waveforms are not too difficult to generate; use "High" and "Low" commands to drive current in the Forward and Reverse directions and "Input" commands to switch the current off. The code I suggested in this thread which probably lead you here, should be a good starting point. However, I was experimenting with an interrupt-driven version that (hopefully) can drive two steppers independently, with almost any duty cycle from zero to "full overlap", using only an M2.

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

newplumber

Thanks Alan ...I guess for me to understand more clearly I will test out more on the PAM8403
with a micro stepper motor but I will try to run the micro step motor off a L293d since I have a few
laying around with higher resistors ...but it would be fun to learn the "PANAM" (makes it easier for me to remember the pam8403)
thanks again

AllyCat

Hi,

Since starting this thread, I've followed the availability of the various components and have "recommended" the PAM8403 (as an Audio Amplifier) in several other threads. Prices (and particularly shipping) have risen somewhat, but some are still very reasonable and often shipping times have now improved. Therefore, here are some more details about the PAM8403 amplifier modules, but first a brief update on my experiences using it as a stepper motor driver. IMHO it makes an ideal driver for the "micro-sized" stepper motors, particularly in a PICaxe/Educational environment. The modules are low-cost and their operating voltage range of 3 - 5.5 volts makes them almost ideal for most PICaxe power supplies. Their MOSFET Output transistors have a very low output voltage drop, whereas the bipolar Darlington output transistors of many conventional stepper motor driver chips can "lose" literally one or two volts, which is a significant limitation with a supply of only 4.5 volts (or less).

The Stepper motors:

The motors in post #1 above have a diameter of 6mm and their "black" body is ferrite magnetic material which can be quite brittle. More easily available now are 8mm "silver" (metal) steppers which are stronger; I've measured their torque to be about 3 times higher, but with otherwise similar electro-mechanical characteristics (20 ohms per coil and 20 steps/revolution). They are sometimes described as having a "copper" gear, which at 2mm diameter is too small to find a convenient matching pinion, but can form an "axle" for small plastic gears, such as the "30/10/16" (pinions' teeth + thickness), available from Rev Ed (but their photo is misleading). These motors have their 4 terminal/pins almost in-line, which makes them rather more difficult to connect and mount on a PCB than my original motors, but some are available as pairs already-wired into a "loom" (my trial samples measured 40 ohms per coil).

PAM8403 Hardware Modules:

The PAM8403 chip is available assembled into various postage-stamp-sized PCB modules; some include a volume control pot., which adds to their size and cost, but is of no value when driving stepper motors, so I have not examined these. There are (at least) three styles of module, the most common "Green" type has 5 input pads at one end (Left , Ground, Right, Supply and 0v/Ground) and 4 output pads (L/R and +/-) at the opposite end. The pads have a 0.1 inch pitch, but not on a precise 0.1 inch overall grid. A "Red" style has all the connections along one side, but on a 1/14 inch pitch. A third style is described as "for Bluetooth" but does NOT have any Bluetooth functionality as such. These have pads on three sides, a Blue LED and a micro USB Power input, with also pads for Power In and separate Out (via a Schottky diode), mainly on a 0.1 inch pitch. The 3 styles differ in their implementation (or not) of the Standby (Shutdown) and Mute functions. Of particular interest may be the Standby function, because the quiescent power drain can be about 15 mA due to the PWM oscillator and any unbalance in the bridge output bias levels (the bridge requires no output coupling capacitor).

The PAM8403 should be used only with a "pure" Inductive load, because it delivers a modulated ~300 kHz "square wave" output which must be low-pass filtered to avoid large power losses (caused by any parallel Resistance or Capacitance). Also, the inductance is essential as an energy-storage element, because Class D (PWM) amplifiers achieve their high efficiency by returning any "un-needed" current (energy) back into the supply decoupling capacitor (which may need to be quite large with low frequency audio). A small Loudspeaker or Stepper Motor winding may have a satisfactory inductance if connected by just a few cms of wire, but anything more should employ at least a ferrite bead on each wire (as recommended in the Data Sheet). However, ferrite beads add rather little inductance (multiple passes of the wire through the hole may help but runs the risk of saturating the magnetic material), so an "air cored" helical (axial rod) inductor is preferable. Unfortunately, suppliers often omit to specify their (dc) resistance which should not be much over an ohm (perhaps a 22 uH) to avoid excessive voltage losses. In my experience a DC motor will require series inductors, perhaps even to make the amplifier stable.

The PAM8403 manufacturer has issued at least two data sheets (dated 2007 and 2012) which indicate some changes in the design philosophy. Firstly, a "mistake" in defining the Standby (and Mute) inputs as "Active Low", with internal Weak (current) Pullups. The 2007 data sheet indicates the Standby current to be typically 50 uA, because the Pullup current must flow to disable the power! The later data sheet specifies a Shutdown current of less than 1 uA, but still refers to the presence of a Pullup current, which must now be very low (or non-existent?). The "Red" boards add an external pullup resistor (100k) for the Standby input (Mute is linked directly to the supply), the "Bluetooth" boards appear to leave the Mute input floating (Standby is linked to High), and the "Green" boards hard-wire both of these control pins directly to the power supply island. Perhaps this is the simplest option, because it's not too difficult to lift the relevant SMD pin(s) from the PCB using a hot soldering iron and knife-point, and then add a control wire if required.

Another issue is the amplifier voltage gain, noting that a Bridge Output gives a voltage gain of 2 (i.e. 6 dB) across the Load, but it's not clear if this is included in the specified +24 dB overall voltage gain (i.e. x 16). The (internal) schematic diagram indicates an "Op Amp" style voltage feedback (Virtual Earth at an inverting input pin), with an input/feedback resistor ratio of 15k : 85k followed by a gain of 1.4 = 8.0 (in 2007), or 18k : 142k followed by a gain of 2 = 15.8 (in 2012). The "Red" boards include an input potential divider of about 47K + 10k to define the gain, but the other boards use the Data Sheet application diagram with only an input 10k series resistor (and coupling capacitor). This suggests that a (limiting) Bridge Output from a Rail-to-Rail input (i.e. a gain of 2) requires an input series resistor of about 142k - 28k = 114k, but in practice the required value appears to be over 300k, which suggests that something is not as "expected", perhaps an internal buffer stage?

Here's a photo of an assortment of the components discussed in the text ("Bluetooth" board shown front and back).

PAM8403comparison4steppers.jpg

Using the PAM8403 as a Stepper Motor-driver:

The amplifier has only one input for each H-Bridge output stage (i.e. 2 pins), so a single 08M2 can potentially drive two stepper motors via a total of 8 pins, i.e. 4 coils (from pins c.0 , c.1 , c.2 and c.4). The input would be taken High or Low to drive current either Forwards or Backwards through the coil and Tri-stated (floated / set to input) or driven mid-level to switch the coil current off. Note that C.0 can be configured as the "DAC" output and C.2 for PWM (followed by "light" Low-Pass filtering) which allows the PICaxe to apply a slight DC offset to the amplifier input. This can be useful to "brake" one of the motor coils where the load might otherwise drive the gear train in reverse (e.g. the winding drum for a crane hook) without driving the full coil current.

Normally, an H-Bridge will be Direct (Current) driven, so the width and polarity of the drive waveform is quite flexible, but the PAM8403 input has a capacitor-coupled (AC) input. This is because a typical "audio" signal swings slightly positive and negative relative to EARTH potential, whilst the input to the IC pins is internally biassed at half the supply voltage. If the input is driven by equal positive and negative pulses (number and width), then the voltage drop across the input coupling capacitor will remain reasonably constant. However, the (average) output from the PICaxe pins is effectively biassed at half the supply rail (assuming equal negative and positive pulses), so the simplest modification is to short-circuit (bridge or remove) the input coupling capacitors. This is particularly easy with the "Green" modules, because the relevant capacitors are at the edge of the boards, in the middle of each longer side (next to each 10k/103 resistor). Also, the separate Earth connection between the L-R inputs can be "re-purposed" for the Standby Input (as shown in the photograph). This can be driven by the "Input Only" pin (Leg 4 on most M2 PICaxes) by adding a 100k Pull-down resistor which is over-ridden by activating the Weak Pullup resistor on that leg (i.e. PULLUP 8 for the 08M2).

The gain (amplification factor) of the PAM8403 is much higher than is needed for Vdd/2 pulses from the PICaxe, but it is desirable to slightly over-drive the input to ensure that the output voltage efficiently reaches the Supply and Earth rails. A series resistor of about 100k, or maybe higher, seems to work well between each PICaxe output pin and the PAM8403 input(s) and may be fitted directly onto the module's PCB. A flexible arrangement for the "Green" PCB version is to add two new input pins/pads along the edge between the "audio" and "power" groups. These would be coupled via each (100k) series resistor to the PAM8403 side of the coupling capacitors (not short-circuited), to give the option of "Logic Level" DC control inputs, or the original AC-coupled Audio inputs. Another method to avoid the need to short-circuit the input coupling capacitors (untested), is to connect two (equal) bias resistors (perhaps 10K) from each input pin to Supply and Ground, in addition to the series resistor from the PICaxe pin(s).

A description of programming the alternative drive waveform strategies for these stepper motors must wait for another post/thread.

Cheers, Alan.