x2 vs 20m2

stan74

I just received some 20m2 chips and was surprised when I found running start0/start1 doesn't work on x2 chips and Allycat says not or and only works on x2. Any more differences?

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie...

I discovered that the BINTOASCII command isn't available in the M2 but it is in the X2. I had built a countdown timer that needed that command, so I just swapped chips and it worked. :)

srnet

I just received some 20m2 chips and was surprised when I found running start0/start1 doesn't work on x2 chips and Allycat says not or and only works on x2. Any more differences?
A good place to start would be to scroll down through the manual and see which commands are listed for the Ms, and which ones for the Xs.

westaust55

The 20M2 has a max clock speed of 32 MHz whereas the 20X2 has a max clock speed of 64 MHz.

X2 parts have the 1-wire commands OWIN and OWOUT for use with 1-wire networks capable of connection with from 1 to many 1-wire devices to a single IO pin.

inglewoodpete

The best features with the 20X2 for me are the superior timer, interrupts, hardware communication and mathematical capabilities. It's a personal thing but I would not even consider a 20M2 over a 20X2.

To me, the 20M2's "Multi tasking" software feature can easily be emulated on the 20X2.

stan74

Well start1 works with 2 stepper motors as an alternative to x2 timer interrupt and the main prog still works but not fast enough,27Hz to motors so dedicated 20x2 setfreq m64 and got 147Hz motor pulses..had to use pausus 20 or the motor stalled and whined.
High and low didn't work.
let w=timer didn't work ???
and or worked, someone posted they don't.
The "multi-tasking" stops if you use sertxd or servo,nice thought though.
Anyway I'll use the 20m2 to control my stepper motor robot and the 20x2 for the motor drive
It's got the same pwm as x2 I think.
More ram, less memory and no 12c slave,Haven't used that.
Both chips are similar.
Guess x2 is better.I only got m2's for the "multi-tasking".

Technoman

To me, the 20M2's "Multi tasking" software feature can easily be emulated on the 20X2.
Probably, but I would have preferred the X2 series (more I/O) has this feature as they are also used in educational field (eg AXE 401).