​ ​ ​ ​ Verification error with wifi module programming
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verification error with wifi module programming

Default Verification error with wifi module programming

Any hints on how to overcome verification error when programming a picaxe? I can see that the program is going in and I can check the chip type but cant download a program onto an 08m and a 18m chip.

You need to describe your problem in more detail, for instance;

What exactly are you using to program the PICAXEs ?

Are they really 08M and 18M, or are they 08M2 and 18M2 ?

How is a 'wifi module' involved, and if so which one ?
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/

Thanks for your comments. Im using a, urf and erf pair, to program from a laptop using picaxe editor 6. The chips are 08M2 and 18M2. I can successfully program the chips with a cable but have had no success with the wifi modules. When I attempt to download the program I can see the oled screen being affected but get a verification error which stops the download. Using the terminal part of editor 6 I can see the chip running and sending back information and also can see it affected when I send data back to the chip. The editor 6 program can successfully interogate the chip via the wifi link and determine what type of chip it is.
    Last edited by dave.; 12-12-2016 at 11:47.

Technical Support
    Blog Entries

Verification errors are almost always power supply related. The firmware check still works because it doesn't involve any 'writing' to the chips memory. Check the batteries at the PICAXE end.
    PICAXE Technical Support

Thanks. Checked and charged the batteries and have 4.5v at the moment. No success.

Error:
    Verification error - 0xFFFFFFB2 transmitted but nothing received at byte 2

the error will change to a different byte number each time.

Do I have to program the erf module to suit the chip that I am using?
    Last edited by dave.; 12-12-2016 at 12:20.

Technical Support
    Blog Entries

Add some extra capacitors into your system, try some directly across the erf supply.
    PICAXE Technical Support

Thanks for that. I put 1 farad across it but no change.

Hi,

If you really mean one Farad, that's much too large! "Supercaps" generally have far too much series resistance and/or inductance for decoupling purposes.

Typically use 0.1uF (ceramic/mylar, etc.) or 10uF - 100uF electrolytic, or possibly both. As technical said, verify errors are nearly always due to power supply issues (but I suppose a poor wireless link might have a similar effect).

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Alan. I tried decoupling with a ceramic and a 33 uf electrolytic but no success. Because I can read the transmissions from the erf module and can see the effects of the transmissions from the urf module on the erf I dont understand why it wont program because the signals appear to be getting through. I guess if no one else is having verification issues then it must be my fault somewhere. Perhaps I need to buy another O8m2, urf erf pair and start again.

Dear @dave.,

From your reply, you are rushing into expenditure prematurely .

I have had verification problems, before, but I do not remember the cause, nor the remedy. I'm sure buying more stuff was not it, though .

You could start with trying to disconnect the picaxe from everything and upload something like blink an LED and see if that gives the error. Then, you could follow Alan's suggestion exactly and add 0.1uF (ceramic) and 10uF(electrolytic) decoupling capacitors, because 1F and 33uF do not help with the problem. Most likely, between 0.01uF and 0.1uF ceramic is what you are after.

If the above fails you could post schematic and/or picture of your setup.

Good luck,

Edmunds