Lp55231

LEH

Has anyone gotten an LP55231 to work. I have a board from sparkfun and just want to turn on and off leds, not use its internal engine. So far no luck

Buzby

That's a bit of a complex beast !.

The datasheet is 57 pages long. It would take me a few hours studying it before even attempting to turn on a LED.

Is there any A******o code available that you could use as a template ?

LEH

Sample code from Sparkfun is C based and uses code from a library I don't have access too. Don't want to deal with C translation.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The datasheet is quite large but it basically seems to be a case of initialising things, turning the sequencing engines off if not used, then just poking PWM values to set LED brightness.

Unless someone has already done it with a PICAXE it is probably a case of going through what example code you can find working alongside the datasheet to figure out what initialisation values should be.

If you are planning to use the LP55231 for a project you will probably have to do that anyway to get an understanding of how it works to get things working how you want. If you do just want to turn LED's on and off it might be better to choose something else, something which is better understood in the PICAXE community.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Is there a way to tell if there is an Ack, a Nack, or no response to the I2c commands?
If you bit-bang the I2C bus you will have access to all that is happening but there is probably no easy and reliable way to tell using standard PICAXE HI2C commands.

The best approach is to develop code incrementally, check you can write a register and read what was written back again. Once that's working progress with writing and verify what was written until you find something which does not work and investigate why that is.