​ ​ ​ ​ Oversized 7 Segment Display - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oversized 7 Segment Display

Think I have the control Circuit sorted.

The MSF clock may have to wait, although I am adding the header for it. If I do get to it, or when as I will have some access to it after the new owner takes it I am going to have it check just once a day for the time, in the early hours of the morning. it shouldn't matter if the clock stops for a while to check the time. the rest of the time, time will be kept by a DS3231

suggestion for changes welcome, going to try and bread board some of it before committing to PCB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by westaust55; 18-12-2016 at 06:05. Reason: Corrected clock DS3231 to match diagram

Hi,

You may need to swap (e.g.) C.6 and C.7. C.6 is an "input only" pin.

Cheers, Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by oracacle View Post
    the display is multiplexed so switching speed needs to be good...
    Think I have the control Circuit sorted.
    ..., going to try and bread board some of it before committing to PCB
    So simple...
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

By comparison to learning the correct programming for the LEDs, Surface mounting 200 Plus LEDs masking them out so the pcb can be painted and waiting for them to arrive from where ever they are coming from. That combined with the fact the this has to be some kind of running before Xmas and 6 night shifts to do at the same time, something where half the code already exists is a lot lit simpler.

Fyi all the bread boarding is done.
    And believe it out boy you most likely don't have all the information about everything

Sorry for the pun in here, but this application is just 'SCREAMING' for an audio solution. You wouldn't hesitate for an audio solution if the fellow was totally blind.
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXV
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

He's more deaf than blind. You can often hear the TV from the bottom of the drive duty all Windows and doors closed

Surface mounting 200 Plus LEDs
    ??? LED strips are auto adhesive, and you can chose a black strip. No need for pcb, even less for surface mounting.
    But no problem : do it as you want. LED strip was only a suggestion...
    you most likely don't have all the information about everything
    For sure !
    I only know one thing : I don't know anything !

Merry christmas
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

reasonably sure you have missed the point of the original LED density. and for that matter, the density of the 10mm LEDs, the gaps in the strips are not what one would call ideal, its why the LEDs are pushed hard up against one another, its why there would have to go onto a custom board and why there would have to be so many of them - its also the reason why they will cause the same power issues as the original design - something you evidently did not grasp

I will repeat this, your favourite programmable LEDs are not the answer for things that have more than one LED, its not always the easiest, nor is it always the simplest. For that matter it does into take into account design considerations, deadlines and a whole bunch of other things.

Edit: Oh dear, the cost would nearly double using APA102 too. cheapest I could find worked out at around £20 per meter for 72 LEDs per meter, 1.12 meters minimum length needed - double that to get rid of the caps in the segments
    120 10mm LEDs, £10, drive components £4 - which gives a better output for the application.
    APA102 doesn't really stack up unless you are doing a lot of colour changing - its probably the only place that they become a more practical way of doing things.
    this display, like the last one only has to display one colour.
    Last edited by oracacle; 18-12-2016 at 16:44.