Soldering on switches

pottsy1000000

Hello

Can I ask for some advice on soldering switches please? I have a picaxe board that I want to connect a switch to in between the power and the board to act as a simple on/off. I have some jump leads to make the connection and as a test connection it works fine.

But I'm not clear how to make a good solder connection to the switch. The pads on the board are very easy, but I'm struggling going with the switch. Any advice please?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If you can find an image via Google or other search engine that may help allow for better advice.

When I have soldered directly to switch prongs, just strip a length of wrapping off the wire, wrap round the prongs a couple of times, trim the excess, then apply a good dollop of solder to both sides of the prong and wire.

If there is a hole in the prongs, thread the bare wire through that before wrapping round.

If it's going to be prone to vibration you might want to use crimp connectors if that is what it is designed to take.

srnet

Hi

Thanks from rather quick response it's a 14M2 and a long arm micro switch
You might want to reveal what type the terminals are on this 'long arm switch' actually are.

We can guess and be wrong, but only you know for sure.

A picture or a link to the actual switch would help.

Pongo

If it has terminals like this one then it's designed to be used with push on connectors and the plating on the terminals may not be compatible with a good solder joint.

Pongo

High street auto parts store. Look for the bare brass ones which you can solder to directly, if you don't find those then you can usually strip the plastic sleeve and solder to the others.

AllyCat

Hi,

They still appear to be known as "Lucar" (or just "spade") connectors, generally intended to be crimped but they can be soldered and the wire insulation clamped with pliers. Yes Halfords do seem to charge several Pounds for putting however small an item into a plastic bag, but they might be collected from Maplin or free postage via ebay:

Several sizes exist but you probably need 6.3-4 mm for example as here , and insulating sleeves are available.

Cheers, Alan.

Tricky Dicky

Using female spade connectors solder or crimp is the way to go with that sort of switch. Unless you have a reasonably high watt soldering iron to enable you to solder quickly otherwise you risk damaging the switch internals as the terminals act as heat sinks.

Richard

Last edited:

pottsy1000000

High street auto parts store. Look for the bare brass ones which you can solder to directly, if you don't find those then you can usually strip the plastic sleeve and solder to the others.
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. It worked a treat though. I was able to get some push on crimp clips from Maplin quite cheap. Thanks again for your help