Verification error when programming 14M2

abenn

This is my first time using a 14M2 -- all my programming to date has been with the 08M2 -- and I've got a verification error when trying to download my program to it using Editor 6.0.8.11:-

Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but 0xFFFFFFF0 received

My 14M2 is interfacing directly with two servos, and will eventually interface with several other devices via an 8-channel Darlington array. The servos part of the circuit is a copy of one of my tried-and-tested 08M2 circuits, with pin designations and PICAXE type changed to suit the 14M2, and the program for it compiles correctly, but at the moment I have not installed the Darlington array onto my circuit board, nor some other components related to it, so pins B.2, B.3, B.4, B.5, C.0, C.1, C.2, and C.3 of the 14M2 are not connected to anything. The three wires of the AXE027 programming lead connect to ground, serial in, and serial out (via a 22k/10k voltage divider) as normal, and the 14M2 has 5.02v supplied by an LM323 regulator which in turn is powered by a 9.6v NiMh pack.

Any ideas what this error means please?

rq3

This is my first time using a 14M2 -- all my programming to date has been with the 08M2 -- and I've got a verification error when trying to download my program to it using Editor 6.0.8.11:-

My 14M2 is interfacing directly with two servos, and will eventually interface with several other devices via an 8-channel Darlington array. The servos part of the circuit is a copy of one of my tried-and-tested 08M2 circuits, with pin designations and PICAXE type changed to suit the 14M2, and the program for it compiles correctly, but at the moment I have not installed the Darlington array onto my circuit board, nor some other components related to it, so pins B.2, B.3, B.4, B.5, C.0, C.1, C.2, and C.3 of the 14M2 are not connected to anything. The three wires of the AXE027 programming lead connect to ground, serial in, and serial out (via a 22k/10k voltage divider) as normal, and the 14M2 has 5.02v supplied by an LM323 regulator which in turn is powered by a 9.6v NiMh pack.

Any ideas what this error means please?
abenn, as far as I know this has nothing to do with your code, but simply means that your download source (laptop?) is not getting an expected response from your Picaxe. I see this once in a while, and it means that I have a poor connection from the Picaxe serout pin to my laptop. I use a 3.5 mm connector, and if I give it a twist, the problem goes away. Do a connection test (see the manuals).

srnet

If you put;

In the Forum search box, top right, you will see some previous discussions on the same error.

abenn

Thank you. I've used the search box as you suggest (I had already tried Google) and get this thread and one other on the subject. The other one suggests that (a) my download cable is okay because it's getting a return signal and, (b) my 14M2 is okay because it's sending a return signal.

My download circuit differs from the circuit on p27 of the manual only in that I've got a 1uF capacitor (as recommended by the LM323 technical sheet) instead of 100nF across the power lines. In the other thread the problem turned out to be a solder bridge between two pins, so I'll put my circuit under the magnifying glass this afternoon.

inglewoodpete

The three wires of the AXE027 programming lead connect to ground, serial in, and serial out (via a 22k/10k voltage divider) as normal...
Note that the 10k/22k pair of resistors IS NOT a voltage divider. In saying that, you may have wired them incorrectly, which is (possibly) confirmed with the error message. The error message is most likely created by a power-related issue. In this case it is possible that the programming voltage is insufficient, due to a voltage divider.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My download circuit differs from the circuit on p27 of the manual only in that I've got a 1uF capacitor (as recommended by the LM323 technical sheet) instead of 100nF across the power lines.
It might not be the cause but it might be recommended to keep the 100nF while adding the 1uF. The two capacitors do different jobs, will filter supply noise at different frequencies.

abenn

Sorry, excuse my terminology about the "voltage divider" inglewoodpete. The two resistors in my circuit are in fact connecting the serial in pin to ground, through a total resistance of 32k. The programming lead feeds in at the junction of the two resistors, as shown in the manual.

Hippy, I haven't got a 100nF to hand, but I'll make a note to add one later. In the meantime, I'll check my board for unintended bridges or other errors.

stan74

The tip pin on the 3.5mm sockets sold by rev ed doesn't fit snuggly on solderless breadboard but that gives no device found error.

abenn

Sorted!

On checking voltages this afternoon, after finding no solder bridges, I saw that the serial in pin was showing line voltage. Checking my circuit board I realised that I was also using it as an input and had forgotten to insert a jumper to isolate it for programming. Programming was successful when I temporarily disconnected one of the resistor chain that connected it to 5v.

Thank you for your input.