Showing var's on LCD

Man_in_uk

HI,
I am having trouble in displaying variables using the LCD function in a flowchart.
The hint states that var values should be put in brackets () but the LCD just shows the brackets as chars, such as (varA) instead of the value of varA.

(I have tried (), {} & [] with no change)

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong?
Cheers

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It actually says, "To show variables use brackets e.g. [A]"; you don't seem to have exactly that.

That [A] works for me...

LCD-VARA.jpg

darb1972

This is why people like me should not be programming :)

Thank you
Don't beat yourself up over these things. We all have to learn as we move forward. I tend to be very average at programming but I'm fairly good with hardware and circuit design. Again, I had to learn that skill and obtain various qualifications from scratch. Over time I've asked plenty of questions only to find that the solution was simple or obvious (sometimes to my feeling of embarrassment).

The only thing that the folks here don't like are vague question/s, a lack of detail to accompany your question/s or just shear laziness (failure to first try yourself and/or look at the Picaxe manuals yourself). Observe these "guidelines" (my thoughts on the matter) and your issues will almost certainly be addressed by a bunch of very friendly and helpful folk.

That's what's great about the forum. Everyone here helps and usually without judgement. Don't ever hesitate to ask regardless of the simplicity or complexity of the question/s.

Regards
Brad

Man_in_uk

Thanks for your kind words Brad.
I did feel a bit stupid after reading the first reply, but that was soon replaced with joy as I realized that I could once again dive back into my wonderful new programming skill, only to be very quickly replaced with a different brick wall when the Logicator software told me that my program was far too big :-(
I was aiming for the stars but only managed to get about as far as the end of the back garden.
This is a good thing. It has forced me to be a lot more efficient with the code, instead of churning out more sub's.

This is my first Picaxe project. I wanted a tester to monitor 30 outputs from a machine controller while automatically sending out 6 command signals to activate it. All errors are shown on an LCD display indicating any circuit that fails . I am using a 40x2 to monitor the inputs, LCD and alarm sounder while the outputs are switched via a separate 18M2 chip. Once I got to grips with the serin & serout functions it seems to going all OK but having more I/O's would have made things easier.

I have started using Logicator as the flowchart method look so much easier than learning the basic code.
Are there any advantages / disadvantages with the different packages available (Logicator vs Blocky)?