Grayed out program button

citfta

I have PE 5.2.7 which I have been using for a few years now. And it seems to be working fine. I recently downloaded PE6.0.8.4 to try it out. If I open a short program I can download it to my Picaxe 18x with no problem. However when I open a longer program the Clear button is functional but the Program button is grayed out so I can not download my program to the 18x. I can download that same program fine using PE5 so I don't think there is a problem with the program. Can I just attach those programs so they can be seen or is there a certain procedure for inserting a program file into my post? As you can tell I am new at this forum so any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok I went back and read the "Read me first" and found out how to insert programs into my post.

Short program that will load OK with PE6:
Code:
main:

high 1
	pause 50
	low 1
	pause 50
	goto main
Longer program that will not load with PE6
Code:
Main:

let B1 = 1

gosub out

out:

low 0,1,2,3,4,5

if B1 = 5 then

B1 = 1

Endif

if B1 = 1 then

high 1

Endif

if B1 = 2 then

high 2

Endif

if B1 = 3 then

high 3

Endif

if B1 = 4 then

high 5

Endif

gosub timer

inc B1

goto out

timer:

for B0 = 1 to 60

pause 20000

next B0

return
I hope I did all that right. If I did not please tell me what I did wrong. Thanks again.

Carroll

Last edited:

cravenhaven

When you have the longer program in PE6, try clicking the "check picaxe type connected" link to verify that it can see the picaxe chip correctly.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The greyed-out Program button is probably because the file holding your program is not considered a program which can be downloaded; for example a text file (.txt), Basic Include file (.basinc) or similar.

citfta

Thanks for the quick replies. hippy had the correct answer. Apparently PE5 is not as picky about the program extension and will run a txt file but PE6 requires it to be an actual bas file. I am not sure how the txt extension got added to the file but I will be watching for that in the future.

Thanks again.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Glad you have things resolved and thanks for letting us know. And a belated welcome to the PICAXE forum.

citfta

Thanks for the welcome. I try to be very careful about thanking those that have offered suggestions. I belong to other forums and have offered suggestions from time to time and a lot of times you never hear anything back so you don't know it your suggestion helped or not so I try to leave feedback about that also.