USB adapter for Serial download cable

manuka

This topic has been discussed endlessly on the Forum- you should do a search!

The official Rev. Ed AXE027 USB programming cable always works. However it tends costly, especially if large numbers are needed for classroom use. If AXE027 cables have to be t-e-d-i-o-u-s-l-y shared then frustration levels may soar and programming productivity sag. Educators wrestling with -sigh- slender $($) annual budgets per e-student know such realities only too well...

Numerous "cheap" Chinese sourced adapters may suit,although locating drivers may be an issue. For many years I've been using cables like the genuine HL/CH340 one below to great effect. They port the program over faster than Rev. Ed's AXE027, & additionally their blue colour makes them easier to find in a cable "snakes pit".

Note - NZ & China have a free trade agreement that makes such e-imports a breeze.

EXTRA For HC-12 programming I recently sourced a 4 wire flying lead Prolific Tech. adapter that may also suit PICAXE programming. I shamefully confess to not trying it in such duties!

Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi,

As you already have a cable to link the 9-pin D-sub connector to PICaxe jack socket, I recommend one of the "Blue" adapters described by manuka. The Genuine/Fake differences are not totally comprehensive (e.g. I have some with blue thumb screws that work perfectly well) and some ebay listing photographs are not completely accurate, but look for the "CH-340" chip specified in the listing*. It's a cheap "Chinese" chip, so is much less likely to be "Faked" and there are drivers available even for Windows 10. Should be less than two Euros/Dollars shipped directly from China (if you don't mind up to a month's delay) or perhaps about twice as much from a "local" supplier.

*Also ensure that the description does NOT say "RS232-TTL" (because that means it needs inverters as described by erco/goeytex).

Cheers, Alan.

erco

I've tried several of the cheap blue plastic types, but they were all TTL, requiring inverting. If someone has a proven, reliable source, please share.

It's probably still risky since Ebay sellers may change sources over time.

westaust55

A pertinent feature for use of any USB to serial cable used for PICAXE provramming is that the cable (more specifically the IC in the cable circuit) MUST include the "break" command.

AllyCat

Hi,

It really depends how many are needed, how quickly, for what type of computer (OS) and how important it is to save money! Also whether the OP has the time and ability to discover why any particular item might not be working as required. There are several reasons why they might not program correctly: The Signal Polarity, Break Signal requirement, PC Driver availability and of course whether it's a "Fake", etc..

I've bought three from China at various times, similar to manuka's description, and all work perfectly with PICaxe. Perhaps I've been lucky and I must admit that I usually use Windows XP, but did try one with Win10 which also worked well (however, I don't recall if it was 32 or 64 bit). Therefore, I don't feel inclined to buy any more, perhaps the OP should buy a few and tell us. ;)

Unfortunately "continuity of supply" can be a problem, the products may change and many Chinese suppliers come and go. Present "favourites" might be satisfyelectronics, "alice" and of course Bangood. The latter has the advantage of some "local" (European, USA, etc.) warehouses (but not apparently with the blue adapters). I also found some locally (to me) on ebay.co.uk .

Many of the listings specify that the adapter won't work with Vista/Win7/8/10, etc. but I'm not even sure that's (always) true. There are several comments on the Bangood site saying that they do work even with Win10 (but not specifically for 64 bits), probably because drivers have now become available. It's worth noting that most (clone) Arduinos use the CH340 chips (but don't need the inverted polarity of a RS232 interface for PICaxe).

Cheers, Alan.

Hemi345

FWIW, I've been using a TRENDnet TU-S9 and Vantec CB-USB20SR for a few years. Here's a pic of the Vantec hooked to my programming cable w/ adapter for the AXE091:

prog_cable.jpg

SAborn

If someone has a proven, reliable source, please share.
If you search ebay or any cheap supplier for a USB to Serial adapter with the HL340 driver then you will get a cable that works with Picaxe very cheap.

I too bought blue cables i thought used the HL340 driver and ended up with TTL cables, now i search for the cables that use the HL340 driver and dont get problems as that chip works with picaxe.

AllyCat

Hi,

Ha, you like alice too, Alan? I assume you mean alice1101983?
I don't recall the digits but I do remember that they could be a "date".

If I needed more adapters, but not in a hurry, I'd probably give this a try, and one from Banggood. "Alice's" specifically says it doesn't work with Vista, but it does use the CH340 chip and looks very like the one shown by manuka, so I'd risk $1.45. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

marks

I was quite impressed with one like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CH340G-RS232-Upgrade-to-USB-TTL-Auto-Converter-Adapter-STC-Brush-Module-Golden/191953896953?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140106155344&meid=b5211bd7f10a493e8962d267b04c3d82&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=301924603438
the ch340g chip works with all windows
when connected to the net win7 & 10 load drivers instantly
I like the grounding ring around the board gives protection when handled
does have an on board 500ma fuse
tx rx leds onboard for easy testing, breaksignal etc
the jumper 3.3/5 determines what voltage the ch340g chip is supplied from.usb5v or 3.3v via a regulator.

having purchased a new pc I prefer to use the ttl serial through optoisolators to invert to normal serial for programming picaxes.

(not tested but if your game setting pin 15 high of the ch340g chip will also enable normal serial just short too pin 16 vcc)

Last edited: