Nifty Dual Motor Controller

erco

This thing wasn't easy to get, but it fills a real need IMO. Drives 2 small DC motors (1.3A max/channel) using servo type pulses. Effectively makes continuous rotation servos out of plain old DC motors. Uses half the pins compared to an H-bridge, might be useful on an 08M2 bot.

After testing, I may buy a small lot of these soon since it's a pain to order, between MOQ & shipping costs. So if anyone in the US wants one, hit me up in a couple weeks. Prolly $4 with postage.

https://feetechrc.en.alibaba.com/product/60388997707-801403351/FEETECH_2CH_Servo_Motor_Controller_for_DC_Motor_FT _SMC_2CH.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8WHgoLY-k

jims

erco...will this solve the problem of incompatibility between the Picaxe "servo" and "ultra" commmands ?? If YES, it will be great to be able to use my SRF004 with my CR servos. Thank you, JimS

erco

No, you would still use the servo command, sorry to report.

Remind me, which chip are you using when the conflict occurs?

jims

No, you would still use the servo command, sorry to report.

Remind me, which chip are you using when the conflict occurs?
erco...I was using a 20x2. Have since switched to a Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F mounted on a servo that scans left to right. Works well and gives fast response on my autonomous robot. JimS

erco

erco...I was using a 20x2. Have since switched to a Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F mounted on a servo that scans left to right. Works well and gives fast response on my autonomous robot. JimS
Nice, I use that too. Have you shared any pics or video of your bot yet? Don't be shy! Lord knows we could use some new activity in this all-too-quiet-forum IMHO!

jims

Nice, I use that too. Have you shared any pics or video of your bot yet? Don't be shy! Lord knows we could use some new activity in this all-too-quiet-forum IMHO!
erco...sorry I didn't respond to your question sooner. The reason that I haven't posted pictures is that I don't have a good way to take videos to post. JimS

erco

This thing is worth its weight in gold for experimental design since you can swap motor pairs out and change your gear ratio, among other things. Can't do that easily with CR servos. Makes me want to make a simple balancer (inverted pendulum). I did it before with a BASIC Stamp and CR servos, which max out at 60 RPM. Should be simple with an 08M2 and this motor controller.

I'm not usually a fan of 1:48 gearmotors for most robotics (precision motion, dead reckoning, etc do better with 100:1 or higher), but a balancer does require low gear ratio like 1:48. Ebay is rife with those cheap motor/wheel pairs.

erco

I built a module with this motor controller, a 3xAA battery box and a tinyl 08M2 board. Very handy for testing 2-motor robot chassis designs like this one, also from the motor controller manufacturer Feetech. Made tuning this figure 8 course super easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRRgLXzl3U

20161013_152828.jpg

erco

A different robot chassis by Feetech, DC motors also driven in a Figure 8 by that same 08M2/Feetech controller.

stan74

Nice.I ordered one and a track and wheel kit.Gave up on the digger chassis,couldn't hear the tv. 2 servos with sensors experiment failed.Used 2 sensors on one servo. I assumed the servos were 75 to 225 but found they were 100 to 200 which explains it missing objects.