Datalogger assembly and usage status

pkf

Hi, I am trying to find out the assembly status of the datalogger when purchased. Is self assembly required or it has been preassembled ?
On the AXE110P manual first page, it says that the product is available preassembled. However in section 2 of the same manual, there are instructions for self assembly. Is this because the part numbers for ordering are different ?
Is this a product that can either be connected to the Microbot (since it already has it's own 18X or 18M2 microcontroller) or used independently without the Microbot ?
If it can be connected to the Microbot, where should the connections from the datalogger be made to where (recommended) on the Microbot ?
Once the data is recorded by the datalogger, can the output be parsed on as a txt file ?

westaust55

Yes, the manual does cover both a self assembly and a pre-assembled version.

Looking in the PICAXE store: http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php/en_gb/axe110p.html
it would seem that the currently sold version is the pre-assembled version only.

The PICAXE datalogger is a complete and pre-assembled 4 channel datalogger, supplied with PICAXE-18M2, LDR light sensor and digital temperature sensor. Uses easily expandable i2c EEPROM to store data, and additional sensors can be added as desired.

Optional memory / clock (AXE034) upgrades available.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There is a single instruction manual which covers both the assembled version and pre-assembled versions of the datalogger. If a pre-assembled version is purchased the assembly section can simply be ignored. Whether self-assembled or pre-assembled, the assembled product will be the same.

The datalogger ( like most PICAXE assemblies and kits ) is primarily intended as a standalone product. As it is not intended nor designed to connect to the MicroBot there are no recommendations on how one would do that.

pkf

Thanks, westaust55 and hippy. My additional consideration was to assess the risk if I purchase the product for children to use. Children who do not solder. If a product comes with pins, then soldering is hard to avoid. So knowing if it is a pre-assembled version or self assembled version allows me to make a decision.

I have another question. The original datalogger comes with 24LC16B EEPROM chip, so if I need to upgrade the memory after purchase I need to desolder the 24LC16B and solder the 24LC256 (MIC050) EEPROM chip right ?

Last edited:

eggdweather

My AXE110 has a socket for the memory chip, so : '...if I need to upgrade the memory after purchase I need to desolder the 24LC16B and solder the 24LC256 (MIC050) EEPROM chip right ?' yes, but if you were to do this, it would be much better to solder a socket in-place rather than solder chip in, you can then change them easily, unless you are concerned about children removing the chip?

westaust55

I have another question. The original datalogger comes with 24LC16B EEPROM chip, so if I need to upgrade the memory after purchase I need to desolder the 24LC16B and solder the 24LC256 (MIC050) EEPROM chip right ?
if you look at the picture on page 1 of the data sheet and the page in the PICAXE online store (see link at post 2) the PICAXE, EEPROM chip and RTC (DS1307) all have sockets.
FYI also, The AXE111 memory expansion board also has sockets for each chip.

pkf

Thanks to both of you, yes I was initially concerned about children removing the chip.
If I start off with the AXE110 and my machine has only usb ports, all I need to get started for something basic is an AXE027 cable right ? Once the data is logged in the datalogger, can it be exported as a text file ?

westaust55

Yes you will need the AXE027 cable to
1. download programs to set up the dAtalogger
2. Transfer logged data to the PC

In PE5 (not sure about PE6) by pressing [F9] you enter the data logger data receive window.
That will receive the data and can save as a .csv (comma delimited) file which can then be opened in Excel.

See section 6 starting page 10 in the AXE110 data sheet.