Can 'TOUCH' command be used with resistor divider on TOUCH input(s)?

OLDmarty

Hi All,

Will the TOUCH option work if i had say 5(or more) touch sensors all seperated by voltage divider resistors to the 1 touch input?

In the past, i've used a multiple resistor voltage divider to allow 10 pushbuttons to all operate on the 1 analog input (stops wasting loads of analog input pins).
I'd then setup my code so each voltage zone (resistor) would trigger different parts of code to run.

Now i want to get rid of physical pushbuttons, and use touch senors instead.

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like that with the touch option? or am i stuck with having to use 10 touch pins for 10 sensors? (sigh)

Thanx
Marty.

AllyCat

Hi,

IMHO you may struggle to get just one touchpad working reliably on each pin. The chances of "multiplexing" 5 on a single pin are absolutely nil.

And if you were attempting to sense even two touchpads on a single input, you'd probably do better with capacitive "mixing", not resistors.

Cheers, Alan.

OLDmarty

Yeh, i found further info within the touch16 command. It states additional components like pullup/pulldown etc are to be avoided, so my idea of a resistor ladder won't work.

Not sure if i'd need the (ebay) external touch board, as the picaxe can surely do it even though i'd use more pins up, maybe just upsize from my 28x2 to a 40x2 to have pins galore.