PicAxe peak-detecting NiMh battery charger

sniper887

After having trouble making switchmode battery chargers, I decided to build one using an LM317 adjustable regulator and series resistor as a constant current source. Gets hot but works well. Schematic designed on Eagle. PCB produced with Oshpark.

Code:
#terminal 4800
init:
;set up inputs and outputs
symbol battery = c.4
symbol chargeoutput = c.2
symbol led = c.1

;set up variables
symbol current = w0
symbol flashcount = w1
symbol currentsum = w2
symbol dutycyc = w3
symbol voltcount = w4
symbol volts = w5
symbol voltavg1 = w6
symbol voltsum = w7
symbol peakvolt = w8
symbol deltapeak = w9
symbol modulus = w10
symbol highvolt = w11
symbol endcount = w12

;set everything to zero
dutycyc = 0
current = 0
currentsum = 0
voltcount = 0
volts = 0
voltavg1 = 0
voltsum = 0
peakvolt = 0
deltapeak = 0

;flash led to signify startup
low led
for flashcount = 1 to 20
	toggle led
	pause 100
next flashcount

start:
;detect battery inserted
gosub battdetect

main:
;main charge loop
high chargeoutput

;for next loop to run for about 30 seconds between checking battery voltage
for voltcount = 0 to 2399
pause 10
;blink led to signify charging
modulus = voltcount // 20
if modulus = 0 then
	toggle led
endif
next voltcount

;measure voltage of battery
gosub verifyvolts

;check voltage, and go to beginning if battery is removed
if volts < 400 then init

;update peakvolt variable if voltage reading is higher than the last reading
if volts > peakvolt then
	peakvolt = volts
	deltapeak = 0
endif

;check if voltage dropped below peak, then increment a counter
if volts < peakvolt  then
	inc deltapeak
endif

;check counter value to end charge after battery voltage drops below peak for two cycles
if deltapeak > 1 then endchg

;send voltage adc value to terminal
sertxd (#volts, cr)

goto main

battdetect:
;check voltage to detect inserted battery
gosub verifyvolts

if volts <400 then start
low chargeoutput
return

endchg:  
;turn off charging current when charging complete
low chargeoutput
endchg1:
;loop to detect removal of charged battery and go to start if battery is removed. LED lit solid to signify charging complete.
high led
gosub verifyvolts
sertxd (#volts, cr)
if volts < 400 then init

goto endchg1

verifyvolts:
;measure battery voltage
;shut off charging current to get accurate battery voltage
low chargeoutput
;use internal voltage reference
fvrsetup FVR2048 ; set to 2.048V
adcconfig %011
volts = 0
voltsum = 0
voltavg1 = 0
;take several readings and average
for voltavg1 = 0 to 19
readadc10 battery, volts 
voltsum = volts + voltsum
next voltavg1
volts = voltsum / 20
;measurement done, turn on charging current
high chargeoutput
return
lm317 charger.png
picaxe charger purple board.jpg

SignalX

Peak detecting NiMh charger

Hi sniper887,
I have looked with interest at your peak detecting charger project here and want to build one but you don't mention what the voltage is of the battery being charged.
Maybe it doesn't matter as the software takes care of it - you are only interested in the downward change of battery volts to terminate the charging process.
Also I was wondering whether a resistor is missing on your schematic from PIC pin 3 to Gnd., to scale down the battery volts to with the range of the A/D and not exceed 5 volts.

Regards,
SignalX

sniper887

Hi sniper887,
I have looked with interest at your peak detecting charger project here and want to build one but you don't mention what the voltage is of the battery being charged.
Maybe it doesn't matter as the software takes care of it - you are only interested in the downward change of battery volts to terminate the charging process.
Also I was wondering whether a resistor is missing on your schematic from PIC pin 3 to Gnd., to scale down the battery volts to with the range of the A/D and not exceed 5 volts.

Regards,
SignalX
I did intend to have the full-scale battery voltage get measured at the ADC pin. The resistor and capacitor are for just filtering. They might not be needed since the current source is just a linear regulator. If i was charging more than one or two cells I'd probably need a voltage divider.

inglewoodpete

Hi sniper887,
Actually, it's not the software that determines the range of battery voltages that can be charged - it's the hardware:). That 1.5ohm resistor fools the regulator into supplying a constant current regardless of the voltages involved. The supply voltage is the limitation of the circuit and that is only limited by the capabilities of the various components.

The software monitors the battery voltage for a drop to determine when the battery/cells have reach full charge. When charging only one cell (1.4v fully charged), the PICAXE's ADC struggles to reliably detect the voltage drop off due to it being only a few millivolts. This sort of circuit works best with two or more cells.

Last edited:

techElder

... Gets hot but works well....
Missed this the first time around, but the heating power developed can be reduced by bringing the input voltage down to some voltage closer to the output voltage.

In other words, the power produced can be reduced by reducing the voltage across the regulator circuit.

You start with 12VDC and charge "one or two cells". That's a significant difference in voltage dissipating heat in the regulator.

sniper887

Actually the voltage is mislabeled in the schematic. The whole thing runs on 5 Volts. Running a 3.3V supply and suitable voltage Picaxe would definitely reduce dissipated power though for single-cell applications. I just put the regulator on by habit more than anything, and labeled the regulator input a different voltage.

Jeff Haas

Look closely at the first post - there's a schematic there, you have to click on it to get a zoomed-in view.