AXE 110 Data Logger or Hantek?

JPB33

Never used a data logger before, and I want to monitor the 4 outputs from some picaxe timers over a 24hr period. The timed periods range from a few minutes to around 4hrs.

I've searched previous posts about the AXE110 and think it will be suitable but see in the wizard that two of the inputs are temp and LDR connected, I presume these are also general purpose?

Can anyone with more experience advise what sort of accuracy I can expect and how does it compare (results wise and ease of use) with a pc based unit like the Hantek or similar?

Thanks

Peter

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
One advantage of the PICAXE Datalogger is that you can program it to work however you want, can monitor any signals you like.

Rather than trying to figure out whether a PICAXE datalogger will be accurate enough, whether something else is better, it is probably best to detail what you need it to do and how accurate you need it to be. Perhaps even detail what you are attempting to prove, verify, measure or determine as there may be other or better ways to do that.

JPB33

Ok, good point, Just looking for general experiences of using them really.

One application would be to time mechanical clocks by attaching a magnet to the hour hand and use a hall effect sensor to start the time process then log the time off after it makes one revolution. I use a similar method at present but its not very convenient. I also have Microset timer for the same purpose but suspects its got a fault. For this application it needs to be pretty accurate perhaps within a second or two per day as I like to monitor for while after carrying out adjustments.

The other applictions are monitoring picaxe timer outputs and carrying out adjustments to the rate, accuracy to with a few seconds per hour.

mikeyBoo

Best bang for the buck for measuring/logging TTL-level digital outputs is a low-end Saleae (also invaluable for protocol troubleshooting, I2C etc.).

The cat-daddy of all data-loggers is Dataq. It’s basically a chart recorder you might find on the Starship Enterprise.
However (because it’s popular for industrial trouble-shooting) it’s pricey. Once in a while, someone on ebay has some old ISA Dataq hardware for sale (but make sure they also supply the acquisition software to go with it).
Dataq gives away the post-acquisition software & even publish the data storage format, so it could conceivably be used to view data captured by low-end hardware.

Of course, that’s just my opinion (from decades of industrial work) and I could be full of what the dog left in the yard.

premelec

Last edited:

JPB33

Thanks for the info, the DATAQ certainly seem to be a lot for the money. From reading more I'm sure both would do I what.