USB oscilloscope

oracacle

Now there has been a fair amount of talk on here about scopes, we also have the PCB scope.
out of curiosity I did a search on ebay and came across this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xoscil.TRS0&_nkw=oscilloscope&_sacat=0
Seems that price for these things is starting to come down.
would something like this work with picaxe, checking PWM, maybe power rail noise or i2c and serial data transmission?

wonder if its worth a punt with it relatively low price

Haku

I think you have to narrow it down a bit before we can give an opinion, the link you posted gave over 2000 search results.

BESQUEUT

1 M/channel buffer size is good.
48 Msa/s is probably for both chanels, so 24 Msa/s per chanel. So real time bandwith is max 4 Mhz.
If that enought for you, and you accept to start a computer each time you need an oscillo, this is probably a good value for the money.

According to:
hantek-6022be-will-it-work-for-me/
"With a rise time of 80ns, I am optimistic it appears it may be able to show 1MHz-2Mhz square wave reasonably well."

According to :
hantek-6022be-20mhz-usb-dso
As it is (broken acquisition at 5 us/div and beyond) even basic use is only possible for signals of around 200 kHz or less

Last edited:

oracacle

it was more of a curiosity than anything else.
It would only be analysing PWM and power rails for faults.
I found that a certain sound detector being plugged into the high speed capture unit causes system reset after briefly causing garbage to printed on the OLED. I subsect the sensor is causing noise on the rails or is drawing too much current for the regulator (although rated for 1.5A IIRC)
I haven't gotten round to trying my PCB scope on it as yet, and where I have tried on other projects it did not seem sensitive enough to detect the issues on the power rail.
there are 5 computers in the my house (and its only me who lives here), most take less than 1 minute to start so switching on a computer isn't ever going to be an issue

grim_reaper

What do you mean 'switching on a computer' ??! Most of mine have been running for nearly 20 years :D (except when being repaired, obviously :p)

Last edited:

PhilHornby

I have one of these, but don't use it anymore, having bought myself a Siglent SDS-1052DL.

Some of the reviews of the Hantek have been unkind to it - but any oscilloscope is better than none!

The supplied software is 'adequate', but not brilliant. It took a lot of messing around to get it to run on Windows 10. One aspect I didn't like - and is probably shared by all PC-based scopes, is that it is quite time-consuming making adjustments - compared with manipulating physical knobs and buttons. (Of course, interfacing some physical controls to a Windows HID USB interface would make an interesting Picaxe project!)

BESQUEUT

...having bought myself a Siglent SDS-1052DL.

Some of the reviews of the Hantek have been unkind to it - but any oscilloscope is better than none!

The supplied software is 'adequate', but not brilliant. It took a lot of messing around to get it to run on Windows 10. One aspect I didn't like - and is probably shared by all PC-based scopes, is that it is quite time-consuming making adjustments - compared with manipulating physical knobs and buttons. (Of course, interfacing some physical controls to a Windows HID USB interface would make an interesting Picaxe project!)
+1 (but your Siglent seems "short memory" ?)
have hacked rigol 1054z (100 mhz, 24M memory, all logic analysers ==> good value for the price...)

Last edited:

premelec

@grim_reaper I have along time interest in power use and wonder if you actually measured your use and wife's use? [I have no interest in who uses what just reality of use] - things ON 24/7 seem to add up much more than I used to think - and with new wall wart standards and such it's evident the national energy folks also think a watt is worth watching...

Hemi345

I measured one of my computers while idle and saw around 70 watts. I used to leave them all on 24/7. Now with SSDs and more efficient software, they resume from standby or hibernation so quickly I see no reason them on if they're not being used.

Goeytex

I try to conserve energy wherever it makes sense. In the last few years I have actually reduced my energy costs, while electric rates have gone up.

However, I find it fascinating that while our politicians and bureaucrats fly around in chartered jets and ride around in Limos and Hummers, they impose stricter and stricter energy regulations on the rest of us.

premelec

@Hemi345 I hope you are 100% wind power as well... My computer use is about 1/6 my Windsource energy use - big old desktop [ca 66KWHr total monthly use -efficient 1948 built refrigerator]. I've been exclusively a bicyclist for about a decade so I leave enough energy for politicians to get around - even in the Huge state of Texas... :-0 I'm a nut!

grim_reaper

@grim_reaper I have along time interest in power use and wonder if you actually measured your use and wife's use? [I have no interest in who uses what just reality of use] - things ON 24/7 seem to add up much more than I used to think - and with new wall wart standards and such it's evident the national energy folks also think a watt is worth watching...
Premelec (and other interested members - who all seem to be American - a pattern??)

I too have an interest in power use, but it's one of those things that comes and goes (mainly comes once a year when I get a new bill from the electricity supplier and the direct debit's gone up!). I have a 'Watt Watcher' with a USB output that the server* logs, but the data has just been piling up for years and I haven't really analysed it. It's on the main incoming supply to the house, so it's a total usage, which I find isn't that helpful.
While I'm sitting at my desk, 'AXEing or Pi'ing, I do notice the watt meter jump to silly numbers when the washing machine or tumble dryer are being used by the wife. That's what got me into this whole power usage thing in the first place. And now you've got my thinking that my original thoughts on the matter are probably a bit off! I guess what you're saying is that I have to weigh up the cost of several KW for an hour vs. several hundred W all day long.
The reason I usually lose the interest in this topic after a few days is that I have a comprehensive spreadsheet of all the bulbs in the house (sad, I know!) - or to be more precise, everything on the lighting circuits. When I started replacing the old filaments with LED bulbs, the amount of power used in total (pretty basic calculation, total wattage if everything was on 24/7) started dropping, and is now about 5% of what it used to be! When we moved into the house, there were two large floodlights over the garden at 50W each, the hallway lights were 100W bulbs... etc. Now I've replaced replaced pretty much everything with 3W to 5W LEDs, the usage is much lower. Of course, the flip-side to that is I've probably spent a fortune on bulbs (which I don't even want to attempt to add up...), never mind my time rewiring circuits, changing light switches, drilling holes in ceilings for downlighters, wiring them in... blah blah.
With regard to wall warts, I've ditched most of those in favour of switch-mode supplies. Of course, as mentioned before, the main problem is convincing the wife (and three kids) to not plug wall warts in and leave them on all the time and not to wash every item of clothing they own 4 times a week :D. I think the wife is allergic to the sunshine too, because the washing line hasn't been out at all this year :(
I apologise for the long winded reply... boredom at work does strange things.

* It's one server, in a small box, don't know the PSU rating off the top of my head. The server itself runs a web site for me to get into my various devices when I'm out and family notices, etc., and there are two virtual servers running on top of the main OS. The virtuals only really get used when I'm debugging network-based software or working from home for more than a day or two.