Picaxe 40X2 Problem

Gustavo Maia

Good Afternoon.

I'm new on this forum so, i don´t know how to begin :D.
The problem is the following.
I created a competition robot, for Robocup and i used on my main board a picaxe 40X1. To improve the robot control i changed to picaxe 40x2. But he didn´t work on my main board. I tested on a breadboard and it worked. The weird thing is that the picaxe 40x1 works on my main board and the 40x2 doesn't. They have the same pinout, i used the same port, i powered all correctly, and i did a lot of tests, but my main board doesn´t recognize the picaxe 40x2. What should i do? it´s urgent !! i would be very greatfull.

Best wishes

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Have you tried the hard-reset procedure in part1 of the manual? If it downloads for X1 it should also download for X2.

Gustavo Maia

See page 50 in PICAXE manual 1: http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf
Alternatively on the PICAXE website here (see 4th point down) :http://www.picaxe.com/FAQs/Fault-Finding/
Good morning
Thank you very much for the extra information, but my computer doesn´t detect the picaxe 40x2. It´s like if there was no picaxe on the board. I cant reset, if there is "no picaxe detected" on my computer. It´s weird, because it detects picaxe 40x1. Maybe can be some problem with firmware?

Best wishes

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The 40X2 working on breadboard demonstrates there is nothing wrong with the firmware.

There are two means of Hard Reset with a 40X1 or 40X2; (1) hold the Reset button, initiate download, wait for "Searching for hardware...." / "Turn power on now" message, and release Reset button, (2) turn PICAXE power off, initiate download, wait for "Searching for hardware...." / "Turn power on now" message, and turn power back on. Details at -

http://www.picaxe.com/FAQs/Fault-Finding/#q3

If it is not a Hard Reset issue then it suggests there is something different between breadboard circuit and PCB circuit. Though the fact a 40X1 works but a 40X2 does not suggests a Hard Reset issue.

How are you powering your board ? Does it have suitable decoupling capacitors ?

Perhaps you could post a circuit diagram, your program code, and even a photo of your board.

westaust55

Without seeing your program have you made changes to the code for tallow it to be used directly on the 40X2 in place of the 40X1

For example, when you changed to the 40X2, did you include a dirsB = %11111111 to make the Port B pins all outputs.
The 40X1 has PortB always as outputs (by default) but the 40X2 has nearly all pins as inputs until you either use the dirsB command or some specific commands such as HiGH B.x or LOW B.x

Similarly for portC, on the 40X1 you just use "Pin1" but for the 40X2 an IO with the value of 1 corresponds to pin B.1 so you must use pinC.1.

As hippy says, if you post you program (1st priority), circuit/schematic diagram and other information that will help folks here to assess the possible causes of the problem.

Gustavo Maia

Sorry for being so stubborn but i can´t even detect the picaxe, so the problem is not on the code. I understand what you guys said, but in my main board the picaxe 40x2 is not detected, it´s like that if there was no picaxe on it while 40x1 is detected. Do you guys need a photo of the board or do you need the schematic?
P.S: I did the reset, with a 4K7 resistor on the reset port and nothing happened.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Do you guys need a photo of the board or do you need the schematic?
As much as you can give us the better.

Especially as this is a rather odd case where it seems everything should be working; 40X1 works on main board so a 40X2 should also, particularly as that works on breadboard.

Gustavo Maia

Well, my picaxe 40X2 somehow burned :D
I think he took a tension spike and that´s why he was doing that. Now, i will use 40x1
Thank you guys so much for the contribution and for the information given.
If i have some doubt with 40x1 i will ask you guys

Best wishes.

dooragfan

Hi
I was going to start a new thread but I found this one which pretty much describes a problem I am having.
I program lots of 8M2 chips a few 18M2 and 20's
Using the same lead, the same power source etc I am getting hardware not found message when I try to program my 40X2
I have tried 3 different chips one direct from Revolution and 2 from other sources.
I have used the 40/28 development board from Revolution and two other boards from other suppliers - nothing at all.

Anyone else had similar problems? - I see above Gustavo says his chips are burned - I cant believe I have somehow burned all 3 chips (I have used them all on different boards.)
Hard reset seems to do nothing

Any ideas?

Paul

john2051

Hi,
Silly question probably, but are you using the latest picaxe software? If I remember correctly some of the earlier versions didn't recognise the x2.
john