PICAXE / ISIS versions compatability.

roho

Hi all,

The PICAXE VSM delivery includes ISIS v7.10 SP0. I've completed a project using this and all was well. However, on my next project I'm running into difficulties on the ISIS side, and resolving them may not be so easy since ISIS v7 is obsolete and no longer supported by Labcenter. One obvious route would be to upgrade ISIS to the current v8.?, but the question then is what happens to PICAXE VSM? My understanding is that there are substantial changes from v7 to v8, and so the likelihood is that I will not have anything usable. Has anyone got any useful experience or information to help with this, or even better, does anyone know for certain.

Roger.

roho

For anyone that is interested, I am now able to use Labcenter's Proteus Design Suite v8 to design circuits that include PICAXE parts, X2 included. I will be happy to pass on the information of how to set this up for anyone wishing to go down this particular design route.

Protezoid

Hello roho, i'm trying to get info if Picaxe is compatible with Proteus and can simulate circuits with Picaxe basic programming as well. I found your post and it would be great if you can explain how to setup this up. Do you need Picaxe vsm with Proteus to do this? I have read about merging the two software's licenses by Labcenter ect... I am new to circuit simulation and i do not understand the big picture on how this work and start this correctly. I'm not shure what software to buy and i would appreciate any pointers that you can give. Thanks!

roho

Hi Protezoid,

It isn't clear to me that you understand that PICAXE VSM is precisely what you outline in your opening sentence, i.e. a SPICE level circuit simulator with which you can include (a) PICAXE chip(s) running BASIC programme(s). So, if that's what you want to do then, yes, you buy the PICAXE VSM product from Revolution Education. This is your starting point and, if it meets all your needs, then you need buy nothing else. What you will get for a very small amount of money is a good mixed signal simulator with an extensive set of libraries of numerous components. So you can draw a circuit using the schematic capture tool, including your PICAXE chip and whatever other circuitry you wish, and then simulate it. Based on the results of the simulation you can then adjust the values of components, modify the programme running in your PICAXE or even alter the circuit design until you get the results that you want.

The schematic capture tool, simulator and libraries are provided by Labcenter (an entirely separate company from Revolution Education), but this is fundamentally invisible to the user, who need deal only with RE. There are also restrictions (which I ran into, which created the need to deal directly with Labcenter, hence this thread) but dealing with these at this stage of my reply will only serve to complicate and confuse the issue. I hope that this answers your questions; feel free to ask further if you need to.

Last edited: