Problem installing AXE027 USB cable

abenn

I've been using an AXE027 USB cable for several years now with Windows XP. A couple of weeks ago I "upgraded" my PC to Windows 7, and can't get my AXE027 to work.

I've downloaded and printed the 16 pages of instructions, and also gone through the automatic and manual methods of downloading/installing the necessary driver. The automatic method seemed to work, though it was so quick (less than a second) that I'm not so sure. But neither Windows nor I could find the driver when I was in Device Manager to install it.

So I then went to the manual method, and downloaded and unpacked the driver. It gave me 3 folders (amd64, i386, and Static) and 5 files. My first attempt at installing the driver through Device Manager failed, both using the "search the internet for appropriate files" and searching my C:\ drive, so I then searched manually and found where AXE027_USB_Driver was located, and pointed to it. The installation was then reported as completed, and Device Manager says the device is working correctly.

But when I go to the PICAXE Programmer software and try to program a chip I get a message "Serial port error - port not present or already in use!". I then click OK and am presented with a list of 16 COM ports, all of which is says are "(not available)". I've tried selecting each of them in turn, but can't get any connection. Going back to Device Manager I see that the AXE027M has a yellow ! against it, with a message that it "needs troubleshooting". Tried that, tried reinstalling the drivers, but no joy.

Any suggestions please? I've checked the USB socket by using it to download photos from my camera, and it's working okay. So why does the PICAXE program say it's not available?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Installing the AXE027 is a two-step process as described in the instructions.

In Device Manager; locate the AXE027 with the yellow triangle and exclamation mark and manually update the drivers for that.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
so I then searched manually and found where AXE027_USB_Driver was located, and pointed to it. The installation was then reported as completed, and Device Manager says the device is working correctly.
Did you do this twice - once for 'AXE027 PICAXE USB' and then again for 'USB Serial Port'? Check in Device Manager for a second unrecognised entry called 'USB serial Port' and repeat the process.

abenn

OK, that seems to have done the job Technical. The USB Serial Port appeared in the Device Manager list after I'd installed the driver for the AXE027. Installing it again for the serial port has now got COM3 showing as "available".

Thanks a lot.