Is Rev Ed having another black friday sale ?

inglewoodpete

Black Friday in Australia is always Friday the 13th. We've already had one of those this month. I know that Australia's days start a little earlier than most of the world but two weeks??

- I thought I'd add to the confusion. :):)

techElder

I'm going to get even this year and celebrate Boxing Day. ... Might even hoist a pint or two. ... :D

PS. Is "hoisting" a sport?

eggdweather

Us brit's have to do 'bottoms up', actually to check the inside of our glass bottomed pewter tankards because if there was a Queens' shilling in the beer, only found when it had been drunk, then we were 'pressed' into the service of the Royal navy. Those nasty 'press gangs' travelled the pubs and slipped a shilling in your beer when you weren't looking, this impressing of men dates back to ~1795

SAborn

The last time I was in the UK it was all glass the beer was served in, and was glade the UK had caught up with the rest of the world with not using glass bottomed pewter tankards as a standard.

Albeit, if the UK could just catch up with the rest of the world now with a decent brewed ale/beer, and not some warmish, flat, murky slop often labelled as beer, then it would be worth putting it into a glass/glass bottomed pewter tankards.

From all my travels through the world, including many 3rd world countries, the UK still has the worst beer on average.

eggdweather

It's all relative, the UK does not have frozen chemical based fizz for beer :) now if you want bad beer, there's a country due west / west-south-west of here that does poor beer.

techElder

Oh, gee. I'm sorry for bringing it up and pitting "brother" against "brother". :D

Its a micro-brewery pint for me or nothing.

PS. Did someone say controversial? :D

techElder

Depends on if you're wearing a petard or not . . .
Being from Texas, I had to look that word up 'cause we don't speak of beer with petulance ...

The word "petard," we note with a grin, comes from the Middle French peter, which derives in turn from the Latin peditum — the sense of which is "to break wind." Which must mean either that the French had a serious gas problem in those days, or that the petard was of something less than nuclear impact.

— Cecil Adams

binary1248

Glad to see there is humor among this collection of technical mind warping intellectuals.. As for beer, lets write a PicAxe program to qualify the beers. Wait, quality is dependent on the users learned taste which often is regional, so that's not going to work.

Dartmoor

Glad to see there is humor among this collection of technical mind warping intellectuals.. As for beer, lets write a PicAxe program to qualify the beers. Wait, quality is dependent on the users learned taste which often is regional, so that's not going to work.
There are probably enough sensors available now (temperature / humidity / colour / acidity? ) to start analysing beer? Perhaps there are some others that can be adapted for taste / aroma? :)
In England, our "warm ale" was traditionally spiced in winter & heated even more with a poker from the fire (a bit like mulled wine?).
Chilled beer has virtually no taste. So if you only like cold beer, then you probably don't actually like beer - you just like a cold drink!

Back to original topic - I have no idea what or when "Black Friday" is. I guess it is American?

lbenson

I have no idea what or when "Black Friday" is. I guess it is American?
In the U.S., the big sales day after Thanksgiving (so the Friday after the 4th Thursday of the month), when retailers hope to have their books go "in the black" after having been in the red all year.

techElder

In the U.S., the big sales day after Thanksgiving (so the Friday after the 4th Thursday of the month), when retailers hope to have their books go "in the black" after having been in the red all year.
Specifically, the 4th Thursday in November each year. Thanksgiving is another of our commercial holidays where we elevate some group (in this case Pilgrims) so we have another excuse to eat too much and buy more products. Mostly so we buy more products.

premelec

Go to youtube and find the Reverend Billy and Church of Stop Shopping - end the madness! - and get screw off bottle tops... :)

techElder

The folks that run the forum don't seem to mind if us miscreants and misfits blow off a little steam every once in awhile. Good camaraderie.

We know when to stop. ;)

marzan

Haha no I meant about Black Friday Sale. Aussie dollar not doing so well so would be a good time to stock up.